+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Filtering of Black Walnut Syrup

I just finished and bottled the Black Walnut sap I pectic enzyme activated for 4 hours. Not a trace of "jelly". The next batches I do will also be activated for four hours and I will report the results after completion.

That's pretty fast activity. What volume of sap are you adding the enzyme to?
    Do you stir/agitate after adding enzyme?
    I store my BW sap in 5 gallon water bottles and plan on adding 50 drops of enzyme/bottle.
    2020 - 1st year - 13 black walnut taps - 4 bottles syrup
    2021 - 50 taps, 22 black walnuts/28 red maples - 4 gallons syrup
    2022 - 54 taps, 11 black walnuts/41 red maples, 20 on solar shurflo vacuum - 8.5 gallons syrup
    2023 - 47 taps on 45 red maples, 43 on solar shurflo vacuum

Quote Originally Posted by Openwater View Post
    That's pretty fast activity. What volume of sap are you adding the enzyme to?
    Do you stir/agitate after adding enzyme?
    I store my BW sap in 5 gallon water bottles and plan on adding 50 drops of enzyme/bottle.
    I am using 4 1/2 gal. food grade pails at the same rate of 10 drops per gallon. I stir for about 30 seconds after adding the enzyme. Any type of agitation would be the same result.

Thanks.
    You should publish your findings. It may be original research.
    2022 - 54 taps, 11 black walnuts/41 red maples, 20 on solar shurflo vacuum - 8.5 gallons syrup

I did another BW boil yesterday with a 4 hour pre-treat with the pectic enzyme and still no "jelly'.
    I will keep using this method unless problems develop, in which case I will post my results.

I boiled 20 gallons of BW sap, added the liquid pectic enzyme last night and NO jelly at all!! Never had to change the pre-filter I used to pre-filter right off the evaporator. Usually I've had to change that filter 3-4x while pre-filtering, but not today.
    I would try the 4-hr pre-treat, but I usually fire-up the evaporator at 7am which is early enough on a weekend after a full work-week.

Bump from last year, but it's that time again. Jeeves, do you RO your sap, and if so, before or after the enzyme? Logically it would seem to make sense to do it after treating.

Johnny is the expert on the black walnut syrup, but I can tell you that I don't run my walnut sap thru the RO at all. If you're going to attempt it, I'd say to definitely do it after the pectic enzyme has broken down the pectin in the sap. Either way, I feel the risk of ruining my RO membrane isn't worth it. I think I remember reading somewhere about people who do RO their walnut sap, but flush/rinse their RO membrane more often to keep them functioning.
    Here's my questions regarding use of pectinases:
    1. What is the optimal temperature for pectic enzyme activation to occur in walnut sap?
    2. Since the pectin (a starch) is being broken down, does it result in higher sugar content of the sap after the enzymatic effects?
    3. Would adding pectic enzyme, or some other enzyme, to maple sap make filtering of maple syrup any easier?

Helping a friend install a walnut tubing system, should have 1000 taps when done! Future Generations University is very involved with the install also! Planning on trying a small centrifuge to spin the pectin out of the sap then it can be ROed.
    Mark220Maple
    1100 taps on low vaccum, 900 on gravity.
    900 plus taps leased and on high vacuum
    35 cfm Indiana Liquid Ring Vacuum Pump
    80% Sugar, 20% Red MAPLES
    http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/g...Maple%20Syrup/

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by Openwater View Post
    3. Would adding pectic enzyme, or some other enzyme, to maple sap make filtering of maple syrup any easier?
    No, it would not, but it would render the maple syrup no longer "pure" according to U.S. and Canadian definitions of "pure maple syrup."
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast