+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 2021 Season

My trees are not producing much in the last 2 days.... the trees are looking ready to bud soon. I am thinking this season may be done in the Princeton area.

Alaska (East Central Minnesota For Sugaring)

Quote Originally Posted by BigPine View Post
    I purchased used quad tanks (260 g) from a commercial syrup producer. They had been used for transporting bulk syrup and had different weights marked on the side - and crossed off ….. I think syrup is 11 #/g versus 8 for water ….. ?
    Yup, a gallon of maple syrup weighs between about 11.02 and 11.20 pounds per gallon depending on Brix. http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...366#post145366

I big Pine yes I did get the 3 membrane and is is working great. We have about 22 gallons of syrup so far. Hoping to get a couple more days at the end of this week. Trees here are not budding yet and there is still frost in the woods.
    Family taped for many years
    started again 2009 after 25 year break with 40 taps
    2011 60 taps
    2016 90 taps

I meant to say Hi not I, sorry
    Family taped for many years
    started again 2009 after 25 year break with 40 taps
    2011 60 taps
    2016 90 taps

Last collection Friday 3/19 and pulled the remaining taps. Taps in certain areas were pulled the week prior due to buddy sap. One of our shortest seasons. Finished with 10 gallons of syrup from 43 taps, mostly dark some amber. Less than last year but more than I thought with how the season had been going. The arch we built last year produces much darker syrup than we’re used to getting on the barrel evaporator. Now working on getting it all cleaned up and put away.
    JC

44° 55' 23" N

2x6 smoky lake divided pan custom arch ‘The fire truck’

In the Princeton area, some of my silver maples have buddy sap, others not too bad. Production is not happening, may be my lowest season ever for syrup produced.

Quote Originally Posted by Bombadil View Post
    In the Princeton area, some of my silver maples have buddy sap, others not too bad. Production is not happening, may be my lowest season ever for syrup produced.
    Pulled my taps last weekend, just up in that area today and my black maples are still flowing. The weather just looked to too inconsistent to dedicate the time managing buckets given the travel time. Last year was a very long season and forgiving for this first timer.

I have bags in the Wealthwood area. After some non flow days trees were in full flow yesterday. I would anticipate good flow until the end of the week.
    2008 - was the start of it all!!!
    2016 - New 22" x 34" flat pan
    2018 - 50 bags and new RO system.
    Still a great hobby.

Alaska (East Central Minnesota For Sugaring)

Default Last gather of the season today

We are doing this for fun, and decided to call it a season in east-central when we saw the buds swelling, looked at the forecast and heard the frogs calling. A good season. Possibly the least muddy (despite several significant rains) and the most windy days.

NW Corner of Mille Lacs - collected 200 g yesterday (about 110 taps). Some going well, some seem to be done. Up to 800+ gallons and there may be more. Now ahead of my 20 year average.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast