+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 2021 Season

I've decided to hold off 'til the first weekend in March. The temps look good in this upcoming week, but I am going to hold off a week. Talked with my farmers this weekend, the general consensus is I should have been tapping weeks ago since when I show up spring comes fast! Now it's the busy scurry of getting everything set up and sanitized.

SDdave
    It's not the size of the tree...it's what inside that counts!

Just walked around the patch and about half the taps are just starting up. I have a couple that are going a fairly nicely.
    2020 1st season- 8 gallons of syrup
    2021 2nd season- 11 gallons of syrup
    2022 3rd season 6 gallons of syrup
    2023 4th season- 7 gallons of syrup

Here in Rochester I will be tapping 100ish suburban trees. I will be waiting till the next week or so to tap as my early taps last year were out performed by my late taps.

But to be honest its really hard to wait thinking I could be missing out. However I remember a story from my youth about a rabbit and a turtle and the turtle always won.
    Suburban Sugar bush.
    2019 2.25 Gallons of Syrup on 6 Taps
    2020 12.5 Gallons of Syrup on 37 trees and 54 Taps
    2021 25 Gallons on 70+ Trees and 100+ taps.
    2022 42 Gallons on 60 Select tress with 120+ taps
    2023 26ish gallons on 75.

2024 Bought property and have my own trees.
    Red, some Sugar
    Smoky Lake Dauntless with Blower and Divided Pan.
    I will be experimenting with cold shock gravity filtering.

For those who have taps out have you had any luck?

Default Tapping trees

I tapped a silver maple in my front yard as an indicator tree on Monday evening. It just started running late yesterday afternoon. Putting in all 200 taps tomorrow. This is a good article explaining the pros and cons of when to tap.

https://northernwoodlands.org/articl...ir-maple-trees

I've been tapping my black walnut trees for a couple of years and after looking closely at the upcoming daytime/nighttime temps decided to put in my taps today. I was a bit late last year so didn't want that to happen again, especially since black walnuts yield less sap than maples. I tap 15 trees using buckets and stainless steel spiles and all of the taps began dripping right away. It looks like it will be a little cool here for the weekend but then warming up again. Fingers crossed for a good season!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Update in Chaska. I had about 1/2 my taps dripping on Monday and Tuesday then stopped until late yesterday. Didn't get too much. Today however is a good day, almost all are dripping in some manner with many running very nicely.
    2020 1st season- 8 gallons of syrup
    2021 2nd season- 11 gallons of syrup
    2022 3rd season 6 gallons of syrup
    2023 4th season- 7 gallons of syrup

With the change in the forecast for next week and it looking more ideal I went for it this afternoon here in MIlaca. To my suprise about 3/4 of my 50 taps were running and running quite well. IF next weeks forecasts holds it may be game on!

We will be fully tapped by tomorrow afternoon in Eden Prairie. It is starting to flow and the forecast looks good.
    John
    2x8 Smokylake drop flue with AOF/ AUF
    180 taps on sacks
    75 on 3/16 tubing with shurflo
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota

Planning to sink taps this morning when I get off work in Esko. This year has snuck up on me. Thought I was going to get another week or two to get tanks cleaned out, RO build finished, and vacuum releaser build finished, but the ten day forecast is looking pretty good. Will probably have to start without vacuum for a week or so but hope to have everything up and running in a week or two. Hope you all have a good year.
    Chad

2014: 12 taps, 5 gal buckets
    2015: 15 taps on bags
    2016: 150 taps: 100 on bags, 50 on 3/16" natural vac, 2x8 AUF/AOF Homebuilt Arch, 2x8 SL Drop Flu & Auto Draw, SL Propane Canner/Bottler
    2017: 225 taps: Built Lean to, Added SL hood, preheater, concentric exhaust, SL SS 7" SB Filter Press
    2018: 180 taps: Added Shurflo to 50 - 3/16", Auto fill sensor to head tank
    2019: No tapping
    2020: 175 taps
    2021: 300 taps, homemade RO and releaser
    2022: 600+ taps

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast