+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Filter press as a syrup pan cleaner?

Default Filter press as a syrup pan cleaner?

At the end of the day you are suppose to run sweet thru the press to clean the syrup out of it. Could I use it as a Syrup pan cleaner? After we finished bottling for the day and while the evap is cooling down, can I use the intake hose as a "shop vac" and clean the pan? I'm think the draw off section should go into a pot and then the rest could be put right back into the pan. At the end the pot would be added back into the syrup pan in the section we plan to draw off of the next boil. Would this work and be practical?
    Dave C.
    2011 - 130 Taps
    2017 - 300 Taps (all gravity)
    2x8 Leader Revolution Evaporator
    12x18 Sugarhouse
    2021 - 350 taps
    Leader Micro2 RO
    Leader Clear Filter press
    2023 - 390 Taps

Sounds like a great way to keep your syrup pan and sweet super clean. In theory it would allow your filters to get more syrup through them before clogging up the next time you press, and you'd be getting that extra syrup from the press diluted back into your sweet. Curious about the filtering effects of the possibly lower temp/density sweet versus the higher density syrup. This will be my first season with a filter press so i just may have to try it and report back just for kicks.
    6th season solo sugar maker in a young sugar bush of mostly red maples
    320 taps
    2x6 self built arch, Flat pans w/ dividers
    New 12x16 sugar house
    CDL hobby 250 RO

We usually run the sweets through it at the end of the night when we change pans so the next boil can go longer. At any rate (cleaning sweets or syrup) run hot water through the press to get all the sugar out of it. We keep the water that is run through and dump it back in the sap tank. You'll be very surprised how much syrup you throw away if you just break a press open and wash it down every time (about a barrel of syrup a year). The more hot (as hot as possible) water the better as it will take all the sticky off of everything and making breaking it down much much more plesent.

My first year with a press too. Between that and the new RO I will have a lot of learning ahead of me
    Dave C.
    2011 - 130 Taps
    12x18 Sugarhouse
    2021 - 350 taps
    Leader Micro2 RO
    2023 - 390 Taps

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by dcast99 View Post
    My first year with a press too. Between that and the new RO I will have a lot of learning ahead of me
    Using a filter press can be somewhat intimidating at first. A couple of our videos and a pamphlet might help. Very frequently the issue of poor filtering with a press is not enough DE or incorrect DE or not being hot enough. Good to recirculate the syrup being filtered from the press back into the tank for a while until it runs clear, then put into a barrel or container.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNqv...faQQkRi-tC0ut9

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUYtobgcvZE&t=2s

https://mapleresearch.org/pub/filterpressop/
    Last edited by DrTimPerkins; 02-04-2021 at 11:13 AM.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

The press seems to be the easier of the new equipment to run. Plan to heat the syrup in a ss turkey fryer to 200 f. Will mix in 2/3 cup of DE for the first gal, then 1/3 for each additional gal of syrup. Will recirculate back into the pot until clear. With the Leader clear press I should be able to see that the plates are full of DE. The RO (Micro 1) on the other hand will be a little harder to learn.
    DR Tim, what do you think about my thoughts on using the extra capacity of the press to clean the syrup pan?
    Dave C.
    2011 - 130 Taps
    12x18 Sugarhouse
    2021 - 350 taps
    Leader Micro2 RO
    2023 - 390 Taps

Quote Originally Posted by dcast99 View Post
    The press seems to be the easier of the new equipment to run.... With the Leader clear press I should be able to see that the plates are full of DE.....
    You definatley will be able to see cake build-up...that's one of the best features of a clear press.
    Ask Fred he'll tell you...
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

Every night, I run my syrup pan through the press, and you'll be surprised how much cleaner your pan stays and how much more syrup you can get through your pan before it needs to be cleaned. It's well worth the 15 min it takes every night.
    Josh

2009 - 370 on vac. & 16 buckets
    2010 - 377 on vac.
    2011 - 590 on vac.
    2012 - 620 on high vac., 170 buckets, 110 on gravity tubing
    2013 - 830 mine + 800-1000 others
    2014 - 870 mine + 800-1000 others
    2017 - 920 mine + 500-700 others
    2018 - 902 mine + 500-700 others
    2019 - 902 mine + 700 others
    2020 - 902 mine + ???? others
    Atlas Copco Pump
    2.5'x8' 802maple Special with Dallaire pans
    H2O Innovation 600gph RO
    Spring Harvest Website

Quote Originally Posted by Amber Gold View Post
    It's well worth the 15 min it takes every night.
    Interested in trying this. I'm assuming you wait till the front pan cools enough to draw off through the press? It must flow through the press a lot easier than finished syrup even at the cooler temp.
    6th season solo sugar maker in a young sugar bush of mostly red maples
    320 taps
    2x6 self built arch, Flat pans w/ dividers
    New 12x16 sugar house
    CDL hobby 250 RO

I start filtering not long after I shut down. Usually, I'll take care of whatever syrup I made for the night, get the RO on a wash/rinse cycle, etc. and then start filtering. My arch takes a long time to cool down, so the syrup stays plenty hot for a while.

A few times during the season, I'll filter the flue pan, but more to make me feel better than anything else. Not sure if it does much. The big bennie is in the syrup pan. Huge difference in niter build-up.

+ Reply to Thread