+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Backyard Syrup Enthusiasts 2021

1st boil here Sunday , hoping for a gallon of syrup if sap will flow today and tomorrow.
    It has been nice being back on the tapline and hanging out at the sugar shack. Our pet Chipmunks are entertaining.
    Backyard Sugarin' since 1991
    Concrete block wood burner
    24 taps on gallon jugs
    2' x 2' x 6" SS pan
    5 gal. SS steamer pan for preheating
    89 Arctic Cat Panther sap hauler

Making a few gallons syrup most years.
    Maple Baked Beans
    Maple Oat Sourdough Bread
    Maple Wine

Ron did good for a couple days. His 3 trees did well for a bit. Now stopped. Snow gone from front yard. Real high winds last night. He's made 2 qts. So far. It'23 right now. Winds dying down. Expected to be around 40 later. He was pretty upset about having to wait it out...Will see what today will be....

Definitely a slow start. I’ve collected about 200 gallons so far, will be boiling today. Well behind last year. Last night was certainly cold enough but the winds today may cut down on any sap run. Hopefully the trees will wake up Tues-Wed

2020: 317 taps, 2021: 360, 2022: 350 2023: 300, 2024: 230 (getting smarter)
    Drop lines and hanging buckets, all hand lugged
    2 X 6 raised flue evaporator
    7in. Filter press
    17 HP Kubota tractor
    12 X 16' sugar shack
    Sugar and red maples

Quote Originally Posted by woodsy View Post
    1st boil here Sunday , hoping for a gallon of syrup if sap will flow today and tomorrow.
    It has been nice being back on the tapline and hanging out at the sugar shack. Our pet Chipmunks are entertaining.
    Good luck with your boil Woodsy. I'm thinking of going for a boil Sunday as well if it's not too windy. The flow was much improved today with 21 gallons. I expect as much tomorrow, again if it's not too windy.

Along the lines of chipmunks, we feed as many gray and red squirrels as birds. Seriously, I'm a sucker for the antics. We have a regular crew at the feeder and back steps daily. There was a gray squirrel this morning who spent 15 minutes practicing his kung fu moves on a hemlock branch. That poor branch. They go crazy in the spring-mating moves I guess. I think a red squirrel mom has set up a next in my wood pile in the shed so hopefully she moves out before I need the wood.
    Two 2x4 concrete block arches with three steam trays each
    Tapping in Mount Vernon since 2016, 30 to 70 taps, 5/16" tube to 1.5 to 3.5 gallon buckets, some trees on collective gravity tubing to 5 gallon buckets.

Mostly sugar maples, a few reds on 200 year old homestead

Thanks, heading down right after breakfast. Came up with 40 gallons this week, might
    get another 10 by this afternoon so should be close to a gal of syrup.
    I saw you mention somewhere that you don't filter your finished product and I've been thinking
    along the same lines here but let the nitre settle out for a few weeks then repackage at 180* without the nitre .
    Seems I read that approach on here somewhere. That final filtering has always been a royal pain.
    On critters, I watched a red squirrel chewing on a sugar maple tree branch recently, knows how to get a sweet drink and maybe even
    the difference between a red and sugar maple..
    Last edited by woodsy; 03-14-2021 at 06:35 AM.
    24 taps on gallon jugs
    2' x 2' x 6" SS pan

Maple Baked Beans
    Maple Wine

My wife and I gave up the final final filtering last year. We filter the boiled down sap/syrup coming off the pans through a fabric cone "pre-filter" from the hardware store. This gets out ash, small crud, etc before final finishing in the kitchen stove. We're only talking less than 2 gallons. Once in the canning jar after finishing to 220 we just let the nitre settle out on its own and eat it with the rest of the syrup. Slightly gritty but tastes good. And we don't loose any to the filter, especially late in the year when the filter clogs easily. Saves loads of time. No effect on flavor of the syrup.

Second boil today produced a gallon, quart and better part of pint for a ssc of 2.4+%. The sap is coming on better now. I've got 60 gallons in the shed so it won't freeze solid over the next couple of days, then I'll return it to the cold storage snow bank till the next weekend boil.

I think the only thing red squirrels around here know the taste of is black oil sunflower seed.
    Last edited by Mvhomesteader; 03-14-2021 at 07:26 PM.
    Two 2x4 concrete block arches with three steam trays each
    Tapping in Mount Vernon since 2016, 30 to 70 taps, 5/16" tube to 1.5 to 3.5 gallon buckets, some trees on collective gravity tubing to 5 gallon buckets.

Mostly sugar maples, a few reds on 200 year old homestead

Didn't collect as much as I thought we would this week. Processed a total of about 125 gallons so far and have drawn off a gallon. Pulling 18" of vaccum off the 3/16 line in one area and it still isn't producing all that well. Good news is the evaporator absolutely tears when I stoke it properly. Easily processing 15 gallons an hour on the 2x4. Finally insulated the door and now I don't have any trouble standing next to it. Looks like a this is going to be a hot week at the end in Norway but dipping down enough at night. Week after does not look promising at all. Hopefully the little bit of snowpack that we have can keep our trees from budding out.

Anyone else have season predictions here in Maine?
    Tucker Adams

2022 - 105 Taps, 58 on buckets, 40 on shurflo, 5 on 3/16 gravity across southern Maine with primary bush in Norway. Aiming for 30 Gallons this Year.
    2021 - 64 Taps in Norway, ME (mostly on 3/16 tubing) - 16 gallons with a 225 gallon sap donation.
    2x4 AOF/AUF Oil Drum Evaporator with Badgerland Pan
    1/2 finished 12x16 Sugar Shack

Cooked off 91 gallons Saturday for 8+ quarts, all dark amber. Last year's syrup was much lighter, not sure why. Wonder if it's related to last summer's drought and trees under stress, higher mineral content etc?

2019 7 taps < 1 gallon
    2020 50 taps 11 gallons
    2021 100 taps
    2 x 4 WF Mason Evaporator
    Sugar maples, with a few reds
    ch

And here we got 40 gals sap reduced to 2 gallons and its now frozen solid in the finishing pot.
    Almost zero here this morning. 1st boil went good but used too much boiling soda.
    24 taps on gallon jugs
    2' x 2' x 6" SS pan

Maple Baked Beans
    Maple Wine

How can there be "too much" boiling soda? Do you also make "too much" syrup?
    2024 - New Maine resident, 12X12 sugar shack under construction
    2019 - New 12X12 boiling pavilion
    2018 - New Mason 2X3 Hobby XL and homemade RO

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast