+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electric Diaphragm Pump for filter presses

Default Electric Diaphragm Pump for filter presses

Has anyone tried or planning to try the electric diaphragm pump CDL has in their catalog on their presses? Thinking this may be an upgrade for us next season to replace our gear pump. I like the idea of electric vs. air and needing/listening to a compressor run.
    305 taps on 2 Shurflo's, 31 taps on 3/16" and 229 taps on gravity. 565 in all
    Mountain Maple S3 controller for 145 of the vacuum taps
    2x6 Darveau Mystique Oil Fired Evaporator w/ Smoky Lake Simplicity Auto Draw
    Wesfab 7” filter press

ive sold quite a few and they are happy with them. less than $500. cheaper and faster to fix instead of the gear guts
    Fred Ahrens
    330-206-1606
    Richards Ohio Maple Equipment
    Ohio CDL sales rep
    LaPierre Dealer
    H&M maple fabricator Dealer
    Service Tech/repair for all brands and electronics

don't take life too serious, nobody gets out alive anyways!

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    ive sold quite a few and they are happy with them. less than $500. cheaper and faster to fix instead of the gear guts
    Ya, I noticed that pricing when browsing through the Bascom catalog. I would definitely go that route before rebuilding a gear pump. I suppose the one downside vs. an air pump would be the ability to adjust flow. But not really an issue for us and the way we batch filter.
    Wesfab 7” filter press

you can still put a valve between. it is a diaphram so will only pump what is available
    Fred Ahrens
    330-206-1606
    Richards Ohio Maple Equipment
    Ohio CDL sales rep
    LaPierre Dealer
    H&M maple fabricator Dealer
    Service Tech/repair for all brands and electronics

don't take life too serious, nobody gets out alive anyways!

Good point!
    Wesfab 7” filter press

Does anyone out there know if there will be a larger version of this available in the future? I've heard they do not flow as much as an air diaphragm pump which for me would cause an issue. It certainly would be nice to not have to listed to the compressor, but performance can't be sacrificed.

Looking at the picture on CDL's site, this appears to be using a Remco 5517-1E1-65C. Oddly, in one spec sheet it says it's not to be used for potable water http://www.remcoindustries.com/wp-co...Spec-Sheet.pdf. In another it says this series of pumps is for RO and RV use https://barndoorag.com/content/Remco...umentation.pdf and has a maximum temperature rating is 140 degrees, which is a bit below what I run syrup though my filter press at. Does anyone have any experience with these pumps in a filter press with hot syrup? It seems like the valve and diaphragm materials can both take high heat.
    Last edited by markgm; 01-17-2022 at 05:26 PM.

The maximum temperature rating would be a concern for me. My syrup comes out of the press at 195 degrees ( I have a thermometer on the out let ) as it goes into barrels or the water jacketed canner. My air diaphragm pump is rated for 230 degrees. As for the noise of an air compressor I use an oil less one made by California Air. Very quiet for an air compressor and no worrys about possible oil contamination if a diaphragm fails.
    First introduced to making maple syrup in 1969
    Making syrup every year since 1979
    3 x 10 oil fired
    Revolution syrup and max flue pan
    Almost 1300 taps total with 900 on high vacuum
    Bought first Marcland drawoff in 1997, still going strong.

For those interested, I asked the question to a Remco rep. and here was the response:

"Hello, I can help you out. Yes CDL uses these pumps and yes the temp. is higher than what we put in our spec’s. but they have purchased hundreds and have zero issues with the temp. rating. Also please keep in mind since they are used for the higher temp. there is no warranty on the pumps.

5517-1e1-65c PUMP, 5.3GPM, QA, DEMAND, 6' POWER CORD, 115VAC, 60 PSI"

So, take it for what it is worth. No known issues but the temps with syrup are above their specs and you lose any warranty.
    Wesfab 7” filter press

Quote Originally Posted by mainebackswoodssyrup View Post
    For those interested, I asked the question to a Remco rep. and here was the response:

"Hello, I can help you out. Yes CDL uses these pumps and yes the temp. is higher than what we put in our spec’s. but they have purchased hundreds and have zero issues with the temp. rating. Also please keep in mind since they are used for the higher temp. there is no warranty on the pumps.

5517-1e1-65c PUMP, 5.3GPM, QA, DEMAND, 6' POWER CORD, 115VAC, 60 PSI"

So, take it for what it is worth. No known issues but the temps with syrup are above their specs and you lose any warranty.
    Awesome, thanks for sharing what they said. That explains the "no warranty" part! Remoco make a "Fatboy" that's 7 GPM (vs 5.3), I wonder if it would work even better (5538-2E1-69C or 5518-2E1-69C).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast