+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Home made arch flue connection

Default Home made arch flue connection

Hello all, I'm building an arch for a 2x6 flat pan, I want to use an 8 inch flue, what are you all using for a connection point to hook the 8 inch stovepipe to the arch, I can't find any cast rings for 8 inch, or ovals. The rectangle to round adapter from smokey lake is too rich for my blood at $290

A short section of 8" sch 40 pipe should work.

ditto on the schedule 40 steel pipe. Any decent shop can fab you a connector if you can't do your own.
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

You want to have the attachment point wide at the connection between the arch and the stack. I had to make a new base stack mount, because of my failure to measure the old pans. Leader had taks on the 2 pans, one said 3x6, the other was labeled 2x2. I then sold that set of pans before I went to pick up my new evaporator. When I set the new pans on, they did not fit. I had ordered a 3x3 syrup pan and a 3x5 flue pan, both measured exactly as ordered. However the 2 were a total of 1.5" longer than the Leader pans had been. I then removed to old cast iron base takeoff and welded a new one, that was 1.5" shorter back to front, and slightly wider so that the base stack fit it properly.
    The reason you want a wide base stack is so you get good even heat across all of the pan, especially near the back. If you draw just from an 8" round area, the back corners will not get enough heat to boil as they should, the heat will take the easy path out.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread