+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My home built 2x4 with drop flue

Pics added to the Google link in original post, syrup pan and dividers are done just need to join the 2. Went with 3 dividers, should give me about a liter draw off

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye gold View Post
    I'll make one suggestion. If you can I'd add a drain across those flues, you'll be really glad you did. Maybe a trough across one end and out the side with threaded fitting for a valve. I'm not good at building stuff, but I have wished a thousand times I'd have asked for a drain on my flue pan.
    I'll second this. I've thought about adding a manifold to my SL hybrid pan, but haven't built up the nerve yet. I made a "fork" out of pvc pipe that connects to a 5 gallon bucket with a shop vac fitting to suck the flues empty. Works, but a pain...
    Dave Barker
    2014 30 taps, steam tray pans
    2015 ~100 taps, in conjunction with University of Louisville
    2x5 Smoky Lake hybrid pan
    2022 150 taps

Quote Originally Posted by fisheatingbagel View Post
    I'll second this. I've thought about adding a manifold to my SL hybrid pan, but haven't built up the nerve yet. I made a "fork" out of pvc pipe that connects to a 5 gallon bucket with a shop vac fitting to suck the flues empty. Works, but a pain...
    This pan was a challenge enough to build, with corner joints and heat sinks the welding didn't go that bad. I'm not sure how they do the manifold but just the thought of fillet welds on this thin of stainless In tight areas like the flues where you can't get heat sinks in and clamped has bad news all over it. I have a 2 gallon milwaukee cordless vac I think I will use if I absolutely need to

your skills are impeccable..i'm betting you could whip up a seven finger header to put a syphon hose on

Dwerden, I use a Shop Vac to drain my V flues couple times a year. I lose a little sap but it only takes a couple of minutes. Very nice work on pans! I know how hard it is to weld on that flue pan.
    5th generation
    2 1/2 Buckets
    815 gravity
    2 new flat pans. Back pan now has 16 V's
    Rebuilt the block arch 3x12
    Homemade pre-heater,steamhood
    MES Dolly RO

not sure how it would work but maybe hook up the shop vac hose to a food grade bucket to create suction, then a small hose from the bucket to suction in the pan...kind of like the vacuum filter. That way wouldn't waste any sap

[QUOTE=Dwerden;389390]Been working on this for a while now. Can't wait to see how it works this year

That's spooky...here's the one i made for this yearIMG_3349.jpgIMG_3387.jpg
    18 x 60

[QUOTE=ir3333;389613]
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwerden View Post
    Been working on this for a while now. Can't wait to see how it works this year

That's spooky...here's the one i made for this yearAttachment 21870Attachment 21871
    18 x 60
    Nice job! I'm calling this a 2x4 but it is actually 2feet outside. Actual pan surface is 20" x 48". Lots of stuff said 2 feet was to wide on this short of arch

Finished up the door latch today and scored a 6x8 reducer. I have 6" pipe in the shack but built the base stack to fit 8" incase i ever thought i needed more flow. I'll just use a foot of 8" and the reducer to 6" . Will work out because I only had 6" of pipe sticking out the roof lol so now ill have 4 feet

Pics added to the Google drive in original post

ir3333
    The maple leaves on the front of the arch are really a sweet addition to a good looking arch. job well done.
    2004 - 2012 2x3 flat pan 25 to 60 taps
    2012 2x3 new divided pan w/draw off 55 taps
    2018 - didn't boil surgery - bought new evaporator
    2019 new SML 2x4 raised flue high output evap. 65 taps
    made 17 gal. syrup
    2020 - only put out 53 taps - made 16.25 ga.l syrup
    2021 - Didn't work out
    2022 - 25 taps on bags / 8 taps on 3/16's line - late start

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast