+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Considering Ventless or Infrared Heaters -- How do you heat your shack?

I heat my RO room using a 8000 BTU wall mount vented propane furnace. It goes down to 40F fine, but the lowest number on the face is 45. It won't go below 40 or it hits the off mark.
    To answer your question, you should be able to install a separate thermostat and dis-able the one it has. Study it and figure what it is doing. On most propane fired heaters they will do 1 thing, turn the burner on and off.
    Last edited by maple flats; 02-05-2021 at 03:04 PM.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I have no knowledge of the controls for these heaters, but I do know I previously purchased a heat-only "garage version" wall thermostat for a normal furnace that would have allowed temps to 35 degrees.
    I found my anticipated need no longer existed and gave it to a neighbor.
    Bottom line --- a control exists, but can it be retro'd into your application?
    If the heater is a wired device -- you can probably make it work.

Our gun club had 2 long ones like the http://www.robertsgordon.com/garage-heaters-infrared to heat the area behind the shooting line on our indoor 10 position range. They were OK, but then we replaced them with a huge 1,500,000 btu propane gas furnace when we did a ventilation project. Now the furnace heats the air just once, it enters the shooting line , on the entire wall behind the shooters, then huge exhaust fans push it outdoors, carrying any "bad air" such as gun powder smoke or lead vapors. Expensive heating for sure. On that furnace the size of the flame varies dependent on what the outside air temp is, thus it only fires at the 1.5 million BTUs when it is real cold out. In cold weather it costs about $13.?? an hour to run. (at least that's what it cost in the 2018-2019 winter. That unit is only run when people are shooting, the rest of the clubhouse has a high efficiency forced air furnace.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123