+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cinder block vs fuel oil tank

Default Cinder block vs fuel oil tank

Last 2 years i have used a flat 2x4 pan on cinder blocks and have got a pretty good boil rate with good heat. Pull pan when its close and finish on Turkey fryer. I also have a old fuel oil tank i thought about using. I get cinder blocks cheap and wondered if there is any advantage in boil rate or if i should just keep doing what im doing. Thanks. Screenshot_20210125-183208_Gallery.jpg

This hobby or business for some seems to always be progressing, I have helped someone with a cinder block arch and it worked pretty good. However not near as good as a closed in arch, an old oil tank would make a great start, then some grates and if funds afford perhaps proper insulation. Then once you have added more taps, because it seems we always do. You could add a blower off a furnace. Etc.....
    And the fever continues (lol)
    Last edited by Robert K; 01-26-2021 at 05:44 AM.

My first set up was made with cinder blocks and it worked as well as it could have. Making the change to an airtight(Or close to)and insulated arch makes a real difference in draft, heat in the firebox and evaporation rates. It could make things a little easier when loading firewood, keeping the pans level and killing the fire incase something happens as well. If you're just planning on using the steel tank without insulation and fire bricks you may not notice too much of a difference except for maybe portability of the unit.
    6th season solo sugar maker in a young sugar bush of mostly red maples
    320 taps
    2x6 self built arch, Flat pans w/ dividers
    New 12x16 sugar house
    CDL hobby 250 RO

Thanks i might stick to cinder blocks again this year. Made 6 gallons last year just to give to friends and family.

Tthe design of the firebox, ramp, air inlet and an airtight door are the important things and you can
    get there with both. The oil tank is a little more labor intensive but should last a long time.
    You can put it on castors and make it portable too!

I have used block for the past four years. The biggest improvement I made was to line the inside of the block with brick, both block and brick mortared together. I made a solid concrete rear block that fits 6" stove pipe , and added a door with hinges (tapcon screws to the block). I'm happy with my 7 gph rate. No reason to change yet. If I wanted more production I could expand the unit to 4 pans.
    Two 2x4 concrete block arches with three steam trays each
    Tapping in Mount Vernon since 2016, 30 to 70 taps, 5/16" tube to 1.5 to 3.5 gallon buckets, some trees on collective gravity tubing to 5 gallon buckets.

Mostly sugar maples, a few reds on 200 year old homestead

I have a 22"by 46" by 6" deep stainless pan i bought from a catering company. It's a little heavy/ thick, but it was $15. I also have 2 fuel oil tanks that were free. Got some old solid street paving bricks to line it with and plan to get some insulation for the ramp. I ran out of time this winter to get the evaporator built. I have a toddler and a new born and a wife that need attention. I have a buddy willing to work on it while I'm traveling for work, but I don't know how quickly he can get it done either, so I might be do l trying the block arch this year also. Do you have a picture of the other side of yours? There is a lot of good information here on how to build the fuel oil tank arch and I think I've watched every video on YouTube there is. I'll post pictures if I ever get mine built, but life happens and it takes time.

For reference, I just started last year with 10 taps and a stainless steel bucket over a basically open fire. Took forever! But I learned a lot, had fun, and made almost a gallon of awesome syrup.
    Last edited by l3rian; 02-05-2021 at 05:47 AM.

Default Oil tank

10 years ago I bought a camp and started with 5 metal taps and a turkey fryer. The next season I went with cinder blocks and steamer pans. I found that with the cinder blocks you cannot avoid ash in the sap which always gave me tasty but dark syrup, and lots of filtering. After a particularly rainy spring I built a 10 x 12 shanty out of 12 foot heavy duty free pallets with a metal roof. I had an oil tank welded with a stack opening and a door. My pan is a sectioned 24 x 48. The pan sits on 3" straps of fire blanket on top of the angle iron that surrounds the opening.Loose fire bricks and a fire grate. I have no regrets. The finished quality is much better as well as ease of use and better sanitation. I had to replace my home gas fireplace blower motor because of noise, and I mounted that to the door, and it has been running for 4 years. $50 bucks, and a huge upgrade. By the way I will tap 150 this year.
    Have a great season.

I dont have any more pics until i set it up this year. I made fantastic syrup last year with and no problems at all with ashes

Quote Originally Posted by Altie22 View Post
    Last 2 years i have used a flat 2x4 pan on cinder blocks and have got a pretty good boil rate with good heat. Pull pan when its close and finish on Turkey fryer. I also have a old fuel oil tank i thought about using. I get cinder blocks cheap and wondered if there is any advantage in boil rate or if i should just keep doing what im doing. Thanks. Attachment 21823
    Ok, I could be all wrong here and reading way more into this from the picture! You have a large green tractor with a loader for wood, you have a nice skid steer with the sap tank. You have a pretty large building beside you. My suggestion would be to start your sugarhouse design and build and buy a nice 3 x 8 evaporator and get to making syrup! Just my thoughts. You will need to fill in the blanks!
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast