+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What IS this in my pan????

Default What IS this in my pan????

We had something show up in our pan last weekend that we’ve never seen and can’t figure out. We have a homemade 3x8 stainless pan on a homemade firebox. We also have a homemade RO that we didn’t even use since it was a small (370 gallon) run and we just boiled it off old school. As it got close to being done in the pan, about 65, it was about 3/4” deep in the pan so we were gently stirring it to keep the heat distributed. When it hit 67, we took the heat off to just let it start cooling down as it was still steaming just a bit. In a matter of minutes our nice clear pan had what looked like thousands of little wooly worms all over in it! We’ve only been at this 10!years so we’re still learning obviously. It wasn’t sugar sand as we have seen it before -it was very fluffy and when we tried to dip it out with our foam scoop it ran right through. We pumped it through a 5 micron filter when it had cooled to 120 degrees, but it looked like crap-very cloudy. I ran it through our wool filter today and the finish product looks and tastes great, but it’s taken about 3 times as long to get it filtered. My sister in law had a theory that since it was so shallow and we were stirring it that we actually had started turning into maple cream. I’ll post some pictures if I can figure out how to do that Help!

Syrup will continue to evaporate even when off the heat, you are probably to thick hence the filtering problem and it may have started to crystallize but you would have had to been way thick for that to happen

+ Reply to Thread