+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 2021 Southwest PA Tapping

I've got 180 gallons made, looks like we'll keep running through this Sunday then done. Hope to land at about an average season.
    -Andy
    Andy's Own Maple
    Andy Kinter (4th + generation maple producer)
    Approx 790 taps on vacuum

3x10 nat. gas fired raised flue small bros.
    600 gph Lapierre RO
    Fine collection of used bulk tanks
    Kubota MX5100 sap hauler
    2 hives (that I don't spend enough time on)
    A great family that works together to make syrup!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Andys...27718203945398
    http://photobucket.com/mapleack

Quote Originally Posted by Pdiamond View Post
    SRM what are going to get for an evaporator?
    I'm not sure, but I think a continuous flow pan 2x3 or 2x4. I like Mason's XL but that was the first one I looked at. I will go to 75 taps next year or more. I have the trees and a plan to get the sap off the hillside without following deer paths like this year. Total taps will be 100 to 150. I just don't know if I should buy a pan and try to make a wood burner that will work or to buy a complete system. Probably the later, but there are just too many ways to go about it. I do want a SS pot with a spout for bottling, I made a mess this year with a funnel and jar. I got about six gallons this year, maybe a little under. I have to go back and look at all my notes and make a spreadsheet with the info. I've just been collecting, boiling, buying propane, finishing, repeat for the last several weeks. I need a simpler system. I'm trying to keep the Evaporator and arch to around 1,500 so I can buy a warming pan and some other helpful things. I have all the wood I need, so I won't go with anything but a wood burner. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

I replaced my 15 year old leader 1/2 pint with a Mason 2x3 this year. A big improvement boils a lot faster. He's a great guy to do business with, it was ready when he said it would be. with a hundred taps you would probably want to go with the 2x4.

Quote Originally Posted by On the ledge View Post
    I replaced my 15 year old leader 1/2 pint with a Mason 2x3 this year. A big improvement boils a lot faster. He's a great guy to do business with, it was ready when he said it would be. with a hundred taps you would probably want to go with the 2x4.
    Thanks On the ledge, He ,(Mason), was the first I emailed and he responded the next day! Gave his number and said I could call anytime. Who does that now-a-days? I'm old school in most things and his quick response is why I will most likely go with him. I contacted a few other dealers, manufactures and heard nothing back and it has been a few days. I think you are right about the 2x4. I spent 6 to 8 hours a day boiling down 20 -25 gallons of sap with my propane and 5 gallon pots. The good news is my wife is excited....not to help, but to get a sugar shack. Maybe I can trick her into helping? Doesn't the steam from boiling sap moisturize the face?

I would also recommend you get the arch paper he offers, I got it and you can almost put your hands on the side of the arch. I put an old living room chair in my shack my wife loves it. Doesn't really help but hangs out and has a couple boiling sodas with me.

I decided to pull the rest of my 27 taps on St. Patty's Day. (Ha, I noticed I started my first year with 10 back in late January) I had a few trees still producing, but not enough to keep going. Today I'll finish and bottle, then I'll see how much I made this year. My goal was to make 6 gallons of syrup.

Gathered 550 gallons of sap yesterday and boiled out / pulled the plug. Final syrup tally won't be done until tomorrow but will be close to 250 gallons. That'll equal a solid average season for us.
    Andy's Own Maple
    Andy Kinter (4th + generation maple producer)
    Approx 790 taps on vacuum

3x10 nat. gas fired raised flue small bros.
    600 gph Lapierre RO
    Fine collection of used bulk tanks
    Kubota MX5100 sap hauler
    2 hives (that I don't spend enough time on)
    A great family that works together to make syrup!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Andys...27718203945398
    http://photobucket.com/mapleack

Bottled my last batch on Sunday - finished with 27.1 gallons on the year. Very happy with new 3/16 vacuum set up and the yield it gave me even on a short season.
    20210328_091750.jpg
    Last edited by DRoseum; 03-28-2021 at 08:39 AM.
    D. Roseum
    www.roseummaple.com
    ~100 taps on 3/16 custom temp controlled vacuum; shurflo vacuum #2; custom nat gas evap with auto-drawoff and tank level gas shut-off controller; homemade RO #1; homemade RO #2; SL SS filter press
    2021: 27.1 gallons
    2022: 35 gallons

Anybody know any carpenters around Southwest PA that would help build a sugar shack? I have a sawmill and the wood, I just need help with the frame and roof. I thought I'd ask here just in case fellow maple syrup producers in this area had relatives that might be interested. I plan on starting as soon as I can. Pm me with contact information

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234