+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rinsing bottles first?

Default Rinsing bottles first?

I bottle exclusively in glass bottles and have always filled them with hot water and rinsed them out before bottling. Necessary? Not sure why I started doing that but always have....
    1980 - 6 taps, stone fire pit, drain pan evaporator, 1 pint of syrup
    2016 - 55 taps on 3/16 and gravity, new sugar shack, 2x3 Mason XL, 16 gallons of syrup
    2017 - 170 taps on 3/16, 2x4 Mason XL, NextGen RO. 50 gallons of syrup
    2018 - 250+ taps on gravity and buckets, 2x5 Smokey Lake arch and Beaverland pan.
    2019 - 250+ taps on gravity. A few buckets. 35 gallons of syrup.
    2020 - 300+ taps on gravity. 50 gallons of syrup.
    2021 - 280 taps on gravity and 40 buckets. 35 gallons of syrup.

I've never rinsed them. As long as the carton was sealed and nothing could get it, I just bottle. Never had any issues except on some bottles with a larger diameter cap similar to a salad dressing bottle. Some of those the cap didn't seal well so I quit using those bottles. I tend to like the caps that have a flexible silicone? seal, like the typical etched 250ml bottles and the 250-500 ml leaf. Any bottles with that type of cap have always sealed well. Also no indication there was any cleanliness issue inside.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

An food safety officer with the dept. of Ag once told me you are more likely to introduce bacteria or molds through rinsing. If the glass is new and box unopened I bottle right out of the box. Have for 10 years and never had a bottle go bad.
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

I do not rinse, but I have put the glass bottles in the oven at a low temp (170 deg F = as low as it will go) to help "sterilize" anything that is in there, and so that the syrup, when filled, doesn't cool too quick to be an effective germ killer. Now having said that, I did notice that after 6-8 months, there was a tiny bit of what I believe is niter in the bottom, so maybe I am doing too good of a job of heating the bottles. But I do not rinse them.
    2017 - 20ish taps on buckets, boiling outside in two baking pans
    2018 - 70+ taps, 14-buckets, 50+ on tubing, homemade arch from oil tank in my barn, 17 gal syrup
    2019 - same set up, 20 gal syrup
    2020 - less taps, short season, but RO kit was fantastic! 6 gal syrup and a maple cat!
    2021/22/23 - expanded into the neighbors yards! 50 taps on buckets and 40 taps on tubing

We also do not rinse them. We have a microwave in the Sugarhouse and we put the bottles in for about 30 seconds to warm them up.
    First introduced to making maple syrup in 1969
    Making syrup every year since 1979
    3 x 10 oil fired
    Revolution syrup and max flue pan
    Almost 1300 taps total with 900 on high vacuum
    Bought first Marcland drawoff in 1997, still going strong.

What about bottles from past years? My family and friends save their bottles and give them back to me to refill. I have always boiled the bottles and used new caps.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye gold View Post
    An food safety officer with the dept. of Ag once told me you are more likely to introduce bacteria or molds through rinsing.
    Yes, rinsing is not recommended, although briefly inverting the container to ensure nothing happens to be inside is a good idea.

What about bottles from past years?
    Reusing containers is not allowed by regulation in many jurisdictions.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

To legally re-use a container for retail sales, you must have an approved bottle washer such as what milk dealers clean their glass bottles before re-filling.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Thanks,
    I have no intentions of selling syrup. I barely make enough for my family to get through the year. I most likely go a little overkill on sanitizing and cleaning equipment, compared to some of the stuff I see on these youtube videos; makes me cringe. I definitely thought boiling returned bottles from my own family was ok though. Thanks for clearing that up. Just have a hard time throwing away nice bottles I guess. Or maybe just being brought up hearing "There's nothing wrong with that! We'll clean it and re use it!".

Quote Originally Posted by Gord View Post
    Thanks,
    I have no intentions of selling syrup. I barely make enough for my family to get through the year. I most likely go a little overkill on sanitizing and cleaning equipment, compared to some of the stuff I see on these youtube videos; makes me cringe. I definitely thought boiling returned bottles from my own family was ok though. Thanks for clearing that up. Just have a hard time throwing away nice bottles I guess. Or maybe just being brought up hearing "There's nothing wrong with that! We'll clean it and re use it!".
    I too don't sell my syrup, and I also reuse glass bottles. I rinse them well, then before bottling I warm them in the oven. I'm definitely not worried about nasty stuff growing in them.

I'm on the fence about whether or not to reuse plastic jugs once (wouldn't do more than once). I've never done it before, but I'm considering it. Not being able to see if there's any haze on them, and not being able to bake them, is what gives me pause. If I do it I'll fill each with boiling water and let them sit right before using.

Gabe
    2016: Homemade arch from old wood stove; 2 steam tray pans; 6 taps; 1.1 gal
    2017: Same setup. 15 taps; 4.5 gal
    2018: Same setup. Limited time. 12 taps and short season; 2.2 gal
    2019: Very limited time. 7 taps and a short season; 1.8 gals
    2020: New Mason 2x3 XL halfway through season; 9 taps 2 gals
    2021: Same 2x3, 18 taps, 4.5 gals
    2022: 23 taps, 5.9 gals
    2023: 23 taps. Added AUF, 13.2 gals
    2024: 17 taps, 5.3 gals
    All on buckets

+ Reply to Thread