+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Storing syrup in 5 gallon drums

Default Storing syrup in 5 gallon drums

Does anyone have any experience with storing syrup in 5 gallon drums? If so do you know where to get them?

I noticed MES had some 5 gallon drums for sale at the end of last season, however they say they only sell 15 gallon drums now.

I like the idea of 15 gallon drums, however my canner can't hold 15 gallons, and I'm not setup very well to process out of 15 gallon drums.

We use 1/4 kegs. Remove the sanke valve from the barrel and hot pack your syrup after filtering. Cap it off with a 2" tri-clamp cap and look for the split 2" gaskets (flat on one side) from a brewery supplier. They hold about 7.5 gallons of syrup....gets you a little closer to your 5 gallon desire.

I have used the 5 gallon blue plastic jugs for storage. They work good, clean them well with hot water and make sure they are dry inside before putting cap back on. However, if you are selling to a bulk buyer like Bascoms or others, they are no longer taking anything under 15 gallon drums anymore. Because of that, I just bought 3 of the 15 gallon drums from MES for storage this year.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

Quote Originally Posted by BAP View Post
    I have used the 5 gallon blue plastic jugs for storage.
    Just to clarify, you hot pack the 5 gallon plastic jugs? If so that might work well for me.

how long will you be storing your syrup?

Yes, hot pack the 5 gal jugs. Be extra certain it is completely clean inside and intended for hot pack. For years small producers used blue, or white (semi transparent) jugs.
    Starting a few years ago, bulk buyers either paid a lower price for bulk in the small jugs. Most if not all now only take 30 gal and larger. Some still accept the 26.5 gal ones out there. SS is either required or preferred by most buyers.
    If you repack the 5 (or 6) gallon jugs, consider using a new cap when re-using the jug a second or more time. The caps are harder to get perfectly clean, especially under the seal.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Thanks for the information. I'll see about getting some this year. I'm planning to use them for storage then repack from them as my smaller sizes sell.

We like the 5 gallon jugs for ease of handling. I’ve tried syrup from other producers that was a couple years old in 5 gallon pails and it was good, no off flavors. I do wonder if the syrup may darken over time in plastic jugs but I’m not sure. Ours never sits around long enough to find out.
    305 taps on 2 Shurflo's, 31 taps on 3/16" and 229 taps on gravity. 565 in all
    Mountain Maple S3 controller for 145 of the vacuum taps
    2x6 Darveau Mystique Oil Fired Evaporator w/ Smoky Lake Simplicity Auto Draw
    Wesfab 7” filter press

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    Yes, hot pack the 5 gal jugs. Be extra certain it is completely clean inside and intended for hot pack. For years small producers used blue, or white (semi transparent) jugs.
    Starting a few years ago, bulk buyers either paid a lower price for bulk in the small jugs. Most if not all now only take 30 gal and larger. Some still accept the 26.5 gal ones out there. SS is either required or preferred by most buyers.
    If you repack the 5 (or 6) gallon jugs, consider using a new cap when re-using the jug a second or more time. The caps are harder to get perfectly clean, especially under the seal.
    Not all bulk buyers require 30 gallon or bigger. Bascoms, one of the largest buyer just changed his policy from accepting 5 gallon jugs to only taking 15 gallons or bigger.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

Artic fox, I believe that one of your questions was where to buy 5 gallon jugs. I know that Leader sells 5 gallon blue hot pack containers so the other manufacturers probably do too. Try Bascons https://bascommaple.com/collections/drums
    Matt,
    Minehart Gap Maple

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast