+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Off flavors/aromas, sources, and remedies

We have 2- 15 gallon stainless “turkey fryer” pots used solely for syrup. Definitely try finding something stainless to store in until you are ready to bottle or hot pack in some sort of container. Cover it and don’t let it sit too long, a week or two tops. Sounds like you may still be fine tuning the DE amount, not much help because I have no experience with vac filters. But generally speaking, you’re not going to filter out an off flavor, there’s something else going on.
    305 taps on 2 Shurflo's, 31 taps on 3/16" and 229 taps on gravity. 565 in all
    Mountain Maple S3 controller for 145 of the vacuum taps
    2x6 Darveau Mystique Oil Fired Evaporator w/ Smoky Lake Simplicity Auto Draw
    Wesfab 7” filter press

One more question, did you try a new filter? Many off flavors don't show up until syrup is cooled, so it may still be in your system before syrup.
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

I will use a new filter this season, actually a couple.
    Last year I would limply rinse it clean with hot water and let it air dry.
    Is there a better method for cleaning the synthetic cones?
    2024 - 160 taps, Shurflo 4048. Sap Sucker 4-D. Mason 2x4 Raised Flue. 5x400 RO.
    2023 - 121 taps. Shurflo 4008. Sap Sucker 4-D. Mason 2x4 XL, 4x150 RO. 20 gallons.
    2022 - 103 taps. Shurflo 4008. Sap Sucker 4-D. Mason 2x4 XL, 4x150 RO. 23 gallons.
    2021 - 77 taps on Shurflo 4008. Sap Sucker 4-D. Mason 2x4 XL, 4x150 RO. 22 gallons.
    2020 - 70ish taps on Shurflo 4008. Mason 2x4 XL. DIY R.O. ~24 gallons.

I put my filters in the clothes washer on hot water, light cycle and no soap. They come out really clean and I have never seen it damage them. Someone will most likely tell you not to do this, but I do it anyway. Some washers have a gentle cycle instead of light duty. I could never get them as clean rinsing with hot water. I have orlon filters.
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

I used to clean my pre-filters in the washing machine too, ran 2 full cycles, no soap, hot water. Now I'd even question that.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Couple of thoughts, one can you finish the syrup in the evaporator and skip the process of bringing it up to brix in the kitchen? This would eliminate the need to store the near syrup and you would be dealing with a finished product which would store easier. This may not be an option but thought I would ask.

Also I was thinking if it was me and I could not finish the syrup in the evaporator I might consider using the filtering container to draw off near syrup into without the filter in it if it is big enough it is stainless after all. You could then transfer into whatever pot you are using to finish the syrup clean the vacuum press container and filter the syrup once it reaches the right brix using your press as you do now and bottle it etc. Just thinking about ways to get the plastic out without having to buy another stainless container.

I would agree that the plastic and length of time are likely the source, but I cannot speak on the DE as maybe being an issue. You can certainly find all kinds of stainless draw off containers at the sugaring stores. They are expensive but its a one time purchase. I currently draw off into a 6 gallon cylindrical stainless tank. I filter directly off the arch into a wool filter with pre-filters. The sailors hat method has been a game changer for me. Learned about that on this site! I two have been very intrigued by the CDL Vacuum press. This makes me a little worried about making that kind of investment. Please keep us informed. Good luck!

19x48 mini pro oil fired, Nano R/O, CDL Vacuum Press,Mountain Maple Vacuum setup
    6x12 sugar house off back of shed
    2024-103 Taps Mostly Sugars, Dozen Reds
    "The days are long, but the years are short"

Just a thought but I believe the Vac presses could introduce any fumes or pollutants that may be in the surrounding area.
    By design, syrup is pushed/drawn through the filter by air trying to overcome the vacuum. From the videos I’ve seen, filtering is complete when nothing but air is being drawn through the filter media. If you’re in a musty basement or shack, is that being infused into your syrup? Maybe, maybe not.
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

Vac filtering and bottling takes place in the kitchen, so probably not an issue relative to fumes.
    I do basically finish on the evap, but need to bring back up to temp to bottle, hence the reheat/brix final adjustments in the kitchen.
    The DE is food grade and from bascom, so I think its the same as everyone else is using. The vac filter is for my decorative bottles that I want crystal clear. If I were in plastic jugs I'd skip this all together.

Let me ask about scum and scum skimming during boils. What is this scum, and is it possible that it is imparting off flavors into my syrup?

I've been told its niter but I wonder. Its light beige and floats on top of the boil. I get it every time I boil... The scum has a smell but I've never tasted it.

I guess a good exercise would be to take some of the finished syrup into bottle directly from the evap. Then take some of the same syrup and go through the store/reheat/vac filter to see if there is a difference. Kinda of an A/B experiment.

Either way I'll buy a couple 20qt stainless stock pots for storing after boils. They are cheap enough and I can use them for other purposes off season.
    Last edited by bryankloos; 01-24-2021 at 06:09 PM.
    2023 - 121 taps. Shurflo 4008. Sap Sucker 4-D. Mason 2x4 XL, 4x150 RO. 20 gallons.
    2022 - 103 taps. Shurflo 4008. Sap Sucker 4-D. Mason 2x4 XL, 4x150 RO. 23 gallons.
    2021 - 77 taps on Shurflo 4008. Sap Sucker 4-D. Mason 2x4 XL, 4x150 RO. 22 gallons.

Hi Bryan - A thought on the scum - could it be a result of defoamer? Are you using a lot? a different type? Your description reminds me of foam in the evap. or could it maybe be a result of putting hot syrup from the evap into plastic buckets? I use the same plastic buckets, from Home Depo, but only for sap collection, and RO-ing. I have a 6 gal ss "lobster pot" I use to finish, and then last year bought another ss pot online, from a site that has brewing supplies I think, with a spigot at the bottom! I finish in the lobster pot, then filter into the spigot pot, then it goes immediately into the bottle. I do not have a vac filter.
    2017 - 20ish taps on buckets, boiling outside in two baking pans
    2018 - 70+ taps, 14-buckets, 50+ on tubing, homemade arch from oil tank in my barn, 17 gal syrup
    2019 - same set up, 20 gal syrup
    2020 - less taps, short season, but RO kit was fantastic! 6 gal syrup and a maple cat!
    2021/22/23 - expanded into the neighbors yards! 50 taps on buckets and 40 taps on tubing

I do use defoamer in the evap. I still get beige foam/scum that builds up on the sides of the channels at the fluid/sap line.
    I’m starting to think that maybe this is the source of funk.

The defoamer I use was from bascom, sold as defoamer. Maybe I should switch to straight canola oil?

I try to skim the scum with a SS spoon as I boil. Maybe I would benefit from a good skimmer?

I’m still curious what the scum is. I need to take some photos this year, assuming it’s present.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast