+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Off flavors/aromas, sources, and remedies

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by therealtreehugger View Post
    Dr. Tim - when you talk about metabolism - is this the same thing as getting the "buddy" flavor/taste/ whatever at the end of the season?
    No, metabolism and buddy are two very different naturally-occurring off-flavors. Metabolism is most frequently found early in the season, especially in light-colored/flavored syrup -- buddy is an end-of-season phenomenon. Both are (most likely) due to amino acids in the sap that produce the off-flavor when boiled, but they are caused by different amino acids. Metabolism is from nitrogenous amino acids -- buddy is from sulfur-based AA. In both cases they can't be detected until the sap is boiled. Some people can't detect metabolism off-flavor (or smell) very well....others are very sensitive to the flavor (probably this is genetically based). Most everyone can taste buddy. Metabolism happens only occasional, but some sugarbushes are more prone to the problem. Buddy will happen every year if you collect really late-season sap.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Dr. Tim - Thank you very much for the clarification! I learn a lot from you, and everyone else here! Thanks!
    2017 - 20ish taps on buckets, boiling outside in two baking pans
    2018 - 70+ taps, 14-buckets, 50+ on tubing, homemade arch from oil tank in my barn, 17 gal syrup
    2019 - same set up, 20 gal syrup
    2020 - less taps, short season, but RO kit was fantastic! 6 gal syrup and a maple cat!
    2021/22/23 - expanded into the neighbors yards! 50 taps on buckets and 40 taps on tubing

Like Dr Tim, I was thinking this might be Metabolism also. It took me a while to figure it out. Luckily I had a freind who is a chemist and he was doing work to find out why his syrup smelled funny and tasted funny.
    During that same time And several times since I have made metabolic syrup. Yes its from the trees nit you.
    The thing is did you ever make good syrup? If the answer is yes then you have to see what changed in your process. If nothing. Then this flavor and aroma variant from the trees could be the issue. Lots written about it. But it is illusive. Can occur in varying degrees at any time in the season.
    My worst case was very late season tapping. The sap even tasted a little flat.
    Cardboard flavor to really bad mr YUK taste is the range. You can smell it in the steam as it boiling too.
    Hope this helps a little. Be aware this may not be your problem. You need to try to rule out any thing that may have changed in your process too. Sometimes it takes a while to find the answers.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234