+ Reply to Thread

Thread: syrup color and flavour

Default syrup color and flavour

Hi guys...for those that started small and grew over time did you find the faster you made syrup
    the lighter in color it became? I'm hearing flat pan boiling will make darker syrup than continuous
    systems because of the extended time it takes to bring a large batch to syrup.
    This will be my 3rd year so i'm pretty green. What's been your experience?

I have always made syrup continuously but I believe that your conjecture about darker syrup on batch systems is generally correct. Another major factor that relates to syrup color is how sap is stored before it is boiled. Long storage time (days) will likely also generally yield darker syrup.
    60ish taps on buckets
    D&G Sportsman 18x63
    Turbo RB15 RO Bucket

That makes sense because i have read the increased amount of bacteria in the later sap as days warm
    creates darker syrup. So storing it probably also increases the bacteria level and would have the same effect?
    I too only have used continuous flow pans and early syrup has been lighter.Last year on my last boil
    i think i got less than 3 litres of syrup for 60 gallons of sap.We had a long season and by that last boil i think the
    sugar content was getting quite low.It ran well for another 10 days but i didn't gather or boil anymore.
    This year i bought a sap hydrometer to check the sugar level at different times.

We started in a batch pan and now have a regular evaporator. All else being equal, syrup in a batch pan will always be darker. The longer sap sits in a pan with direct flame to it, the darker it gets. We used to just make a small amount of dark and mostly very dark. Now we make medium and dark, somewhere around 50/50. But last year was more like 75/25 mostly medium. Same trees, same tanks, all else the same.
    305 taps on 2 Shurflo's, 31 taps on 3/16" and 229 taps on gravity. 565 in all
    Mountain Maple S3 controller for 145 of the vacuum taps
    2x6 Darveau Mystique Oil Fired Evaporator w/ Smoky Lake Simplicity Auto Draw
    Wesfab 7” filter press

OK..just read another article which says the longer glucose and fructose boil they will become darker.
    Most people i have spoken too want amber?

Most people probably prefer a robust flavor for typical pancake syrup. However, lighter flavored syrups have many uses in situations where robust flavor may be less desirable (such as baking). In addition, if your are interested in value added products such as maple cream and granulated sugar, then lighter syrups would be preferred (although not strictly necessary).
    60ish taps on buckets
    D&G Sportsman 18x63
    Turbo RB15 RO Bucket

+ Reply to Thread