+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Filter press shopping

Default Filter press shopping

Good afternoon everyone.
    I have decided to start shopping for a short bank filter press. I have priced a CDL, Westfab and a Smokey Lake. Any one have thoughts or opinions on which one we should get? I have never used one before.
    1986-2002 2x6 Leader evaporator 150 taps drop tubes
    Life happens
    2015 130 taps drop tubes and sap sacs
    2016 225 taps drop tubes and sap sacs
    2017 300+? MicRO single membrane
    2019 325 taps 81 gallons made, most ever for us
    2020 2x6 Smoky Lake evaporator 400 taps with 160 on a guzzler pump
    2021..... a lot more line and vacuum

I don't think you could go wrong with any of those. I would make sure to get a air diaphragm pump instead of a gear pump. We have a Leader press and it works great.
    CDL 2.5*8 Venturi with all the bells
    Leader Clear 5 bank filter press
    Memprotec 350H RO
    600ish taps and looking for more.

Wesfab makes a good press at probably less cost than CDL but not 100% sure on that. I am sure CDL makes a good press too. We like our 7” Wesfab press. We have a gear pump, but if we got it new it would been with an air pump. We’ll replace it some day. Air pump is the way to go.
    Smoky Lake makes nice stuff but their filter presses are stainless. Sounds good but must be pretty heavy. Some mixed reviews on their website but that happens to everyone.
    305 taps on 2 Shurflo's, 31 taps on 3/16" and 229 taps on gravity. 565 in all
    Mountain Maple S3 controller for 145 of the vacuum taps
    2x6 Darveau Mystique Oil Fired Evaporator w/ Smoky Lake Simplicity Auto Draw
    Wesfab 7” filter press

One thing for sure, once you get a filter press, whether it has a gear pump or an air pump, you will wonder why you waited so long to get one. We have a Wesfab gear pump model and it works great. If you go with an air pump, remember that you have to have add setting up a compressor in your filtering process. Not a big deal, but just one more thing you will need to get setup before you are ready to go.
    Gary
    16' X 24' Sugarhouse
    2' X 6' Leader Inferno Arch with Revolution Raised-Flue Pans, Smoky Lake preheater and hood
    Deer Run Maple gas-powered 250 RO
    WesFab 7" filter press
    Kubota 1100 RTV with tracks and 125 gallon tank for transporting sap
    800 taps on gravity and vacuum
    Very supportive wife who is the best coworker
    http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...ing-Sugarhouse

I have a Lapierre, started with a 3 bank, added 2 more a few years later. As said above, any brand is good, but opt for air diaphragm rather than gear pump. Mine was gear pump, brass, then regs changed making brass a no no. At that point I needed a pump anyways, the gears were worn. I had 2 options, SS gear or air diaphragm, I went with the air powered diaphragm and it is a whole lot better and far better control. My first year on it, I had a small 2HP pancake compressor right in the sugarhouse, it was loud. That summer I ran an air line underground to my shop (about 85' away). Now the compressor runs in the shop and it's much quieter in the sugarhouse. I can even hear myself think and I don't think very loud at all!
    In the sugarhouse, on the air line I have a ball valve, a pressure reducer and a pressure gauge. The compressor runs at up to 135 psi, I regulate it down as much as I need and have full control of the pump speed.
    Last edited by maple flats; 01-19-2021 at 11:22 AM.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Clear Press from Leader gets my vote..I have a 5 bank but seldom, if ever, use more than 3.
    I find that being able to see cake build-up and what's going on in the press to be an advantage.
    What ever you do, don't listen to Fred...he's just jealous that Leader beat CDL to the punch. <big grin>

I run it on a Rolair JC20 oil-less compressor https://www.rolair.com/products/air-...and-carry/jc20.
    It's comparatively quiet at <70db when running.

I have a Wilden P1/SSPPP/FSS/FS/SFS/0070 Stainless diaphragm pump that's rated Food Grade by the manufacturer. The end code 0070 designates that rating.
    All may be overkill, but good "stuff" seldom wears out and I can feel good knowing I'm not introducing anything nasty into our syrup.
    Last edited by johnallin; 01-19-2021 at 07:59 PM.
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

I am not sure if you have purchased one as of yet, but I purchased on from Badgerland Mapleworks. it is a division of Smoky Lake Maple. the only difference between theirs and SLM is the aluminum plates instead of stainless. but it was around $900ish for a 7", with silicone hoses, quick disconnects, and DE, all delivered.

this will be my first season with it, but after smashing my head into a wall because of tons of issues with gravity filtering, i am sure this will be well worth the money.

I picked up a press last year. I told myself it was a christmas present to myself after having some extra cash from a side job. Looking back on it, man does it make life easier.

I got the short bank hand press from Smoky Lake. I will add a diaphragm pump later if production ever warrants it. I was going to get the Badgerland press mentioned above at first. Yes, sister company to SL. It's all the same unit except the Badgerland has aluminum plates (like every other unit) whereas the Smoky press is stainless.

After looking into it, the badgerland press did not include hoses, cam locks, papers, or DE. All of which I needed to buy separately but came included with the Smoky Lake unit. After doing thr math, the stainless plates only cost me like $50 more. So I got the Smoky Lake unit and have been pleased. I cannot comment on the other units you spoke of.

Some of the presses I have seen have thicker plates than others. D&G comes to mind, I would think you can filter a fair amount more if the plates hold more DE.
    2.5X10 HE
    600 RO
    Vac

I really like the Siro 12 inch canister system. I have a gear pump but one of these and a air pump would be my recommendation!
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast