+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Legal requirements for processing and selling maple sugar (VT)?

Default Legal requirements for processing and selling maple sugar (VT)?

I was going to give the Dept of Ag a call today, but they are closed for the holiday! I'm curious if there are legal requirements to process and sell maple sugar? For example, does it need to be made and packaged in a commercial kitchen? I haven't seen anything about this in a few Google searches but I figured I would double check here. In order for it to be sold in stores, it need to be labeled in any particular way besides the standard nutritional facts?

Thanks!

Good place to start, I know it varries from state to state. In WV they have something called the "cottage law" that allows small producers of farm products to sell without the full weight of regulation that a large scale production facility might have. Since in VT maple products are move mainstream i'm sure they have some specific guidelines, but they must have some leeway for the family that just wants to sell their product out of the shack, or at a farm stand.

https://www.healthvermont.gov/health...establishments
    Last edited by darkmachine; 01-18-2021 at 08:30 AM.
    2024 - 57 Gallons - Short season, many and varied problems remedied in short order! - No buckets!
    2023 - 38 Gallons - RO broke, Buckets didn't run, rebuilt vacuum pump mid-season, still made good syrup!
    2022 - 52 Gallons - DIY RO, 50% less fuel, no late nights in the shack!
    2021 - 48 Gallons - new pans, new arch, lots of new taps and tubing
    2020 - 32 Gallons
    2019 - 27 Gallons

+ Reply to Thread