+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Backwards evaporator or operator

Default Backwards evaporator or operator

Just built my mild steel evaporator, 20 x 30 with one divider and a 20 X 10 x 10 warming pan. Its on a barrel stove. Worked good and gave me almost 2 gal syrup on first batch. Trouble is this. When I did my test batch the half of the pan toward the flu boiled hard but the front wouldn't. So, I turned the pan around with the warming pan on the front and ran it. It worked, doesn't feel right. Thoughts?? Picture is from the test burn. I had the warming pan on the front and the draw spigot on the back during the sap cook. thumbnail_Screenshot_20210116-145512.jpg

Do what works best, neither is wrong. The one that boils faster is the winner!
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

You might want to try to build your fire closer to the front nearer the door. Is “nearer” a word?
    12 x 16 Sugarhouse, 12 x 16 Woodshed
    2 x 8 “The Mutt” Evaporator with Marcland Drawoff
    Leader oil fired arch, Dallaire raised flue, Smoky Lake syrup pan and hoods with pre-heater
    New Leader Clear Filter Press/Air Diaphragm Pump
    5” Hand Pump Filter Press from Daryl-One of the first three! On loan to a friend.
    Deer Run 250 gal/hr RO
    A Very Understanding Wife
    "At any time during the day you're only 10 seconds from disaster!"

+ Reply to Thread