+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Feeling the itch?

Finished tapping yesterday morning, then ran a new 3/16 line in the afternoon to bring this year's tap count to 950 or so. I think 1000 could be had if I spent some time corralling the last few trees, but probably not happening this year. Just finished chasing down vacuum leaks while I let the gunky stuff run on the ground, then closed the valve. Coming in at about 50 gallons/hr. Depending on whether we freeze up tonight, tomorrow might be the first boil.

Pumps are and we are collecting. Find out tomorrow afternoon if we have enough to fire up.
    305 taps on 2 Shurflo's, 31 taps on 3/16" and 229 taps on gravity. 565 in all
    Mountain Maple S3 controller for 145 of the vacuum taps
    2x6 Darveau Mystique Oil Fired Evaporator w/ Smoky Lake Simplicity Auto Draw
    Wesfab 7” filter press

300 taps in at the farm and a couple dozen around the house to keep the kids busy. We upped the 3/16 lines to 150 taps so collecting should go a bit quicker this year. My oldest (15) did all the boiling at home last year while on quarantine and made around 7 gallons. I let him keep all proceeds and it seemed to do the trick. He was super fired up to tap today and is rearing to go. Everything was running well this afternoon even on the north sides of our trees.
    24x24 post and beam Sugarhouse (built by Lyle Merrifield and crew)
    2x6 raised flue cdl traditional evaporator
    600 gallon milk tank
    300 taps on combination of 3/16 and buckets

About 1.5 gal sap/tap between the last two days. Boiled today and will again tomorrow. But if I knew then what I know now, I would have wouldn't have tapped yet. Looks like a cold spell coming up and the sap isn't very sweet yet.

I have not drilled a hole yet do to family ski trip we had planned last weekend. I was feeling behind now I'm feeling good I think it will all work out. Your comment that you wouldn't have tapped yet brightened my day. Definitely looks like not much is going to happen for week or so. when it starts back up hopefully the sugar is up a little.
    2 1/2 x 10 with steam away leader drop flue inferno arch.
    550 in gravity

We didn't get enough to boil, trees still mostly froze up so we dumped the totes last night. Looks like a week out for sap again. OK by me, going fishing Thursday-Monday We'll have everything ready when its time to go.
    305 taps on 2 Shurflo's, 31 taps on 3/16" and 229 taps on gravity. 565 in all
    Mountain Maple S3 controller for 145 of the vacuum taps
    2x6 Darveau Mystique Oil Fired Evaporator w/ Smoky Lake Simplicity Auto Draw
    Wesfab 7” filter press

We are about 60% there right now. About 200 taps drilled in Sumner and all 80 in Lewiston. Still need to change about 100 drop lines and taps which will get done this weekend. Also need to wash out our head tanks, run water in the new evaporator, set up the new autodraw and do a dry run. Lots of little loose ends to get buttoned up but this freeze up will give us a little more time which will help.
    West Sumner Sugar House
    West Sumner, ME
    500 +/- Taps - 2 x 8 CDL Venturi - 3 Shurflo Solar Systems - MES Dolly 300
    https://www.facebook.com/WestSumnerSugarHouse

Felt like I was a little behind, but looking at the rest of the week probably won't get anything until the 7th. Probably good timing since my pump gave up and who knows where Fed Ex has my replacement.
    2018 - 20 Taps on 3/16, Barrel evaporator with 2 steam pans. Unknown amount.
    2019 - Nothing
    2020 - 30 Taps on Shurflo, 30 taps on 3/16, 2x5 oil tank evaporator, 11 Gallons.
    2021 - 35 Taps on Shurflo, 11 buckets, RB10 RO Bucket, 2x3XL Mason Evaporator. 4 gallons
    2022 - 110 Taps on Shurflo, 77 taps on 3/16 gravity, 13 buckets to hit 200, Upgrade to RB15 RO Bucket.
    2023 - 110 Taps on Shurflo, New 3/4 Mainline with 125 taps, 2x4 raised flue, Upgrade to Homemade 4x40 RO.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12