+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Modification for Smoky Lake hybrid

Default Modification for Smoky Lake hybrid

The Smoky Lake hybrid pans have an issue when hard boiling sap near the sap inlet causes sap to be blocked; from coming out of the float valve into the pan. This can result in the sap level running too low with a risk of scorching in the syrup pan. At the very least it causes wide fluctuations in sap level.

I'm trying an experiment with mine using copper pipe (didn't have stainless on hand) to direct the sap from the inlet to the center of the first flue section. I'm hoping this will even out the flow of sap. I'll report results back after a few boils.
    pan-mod.jpg
    Dave Barker
    2014 30 taps, steam tray pans
    2015 ~100 taps, in conjunction with University of Louisville
    2x5 Smoky Lake hybrid pan
    2022 150 taps

I’ve had the same problem with my SL Hybrid. Only pans I have ever scorched in 35+ years of sugaring. These pans seem to need a higher sap level to work right and maintain continuous sap flow without having mounds of bubbles block sap flow. Once I raised sap level to 2.5” it works much better. At 1.5” sap level, good luck. I love the system other than this issue. Please let us know your results.

Dave
    Mountain Maple farm
    2022 NAMSC award winning dark amber syrup
    2023: 320 taps, 70% red maples. Mountain Maple S4 diaphragm pump controller with automated sap transfer and text messaging
    https://www.mountainmaplefarm.com
    https://www.facebook.com/MountainMapleFarm/

Any updates? Does the pipe fit right into the port inlet?
    Sunrise 2X4 Hobby
    Smoky Lake Hybrid Pan

100 Taps

40 Taps

I had my first boil of the season last week, and this modification helps keep sap level more consistent when hard boiling. No more back pressure from boiling sap preventing sap from flowing into the flue pan.

I used 3/4" copper pipe, and used a belt sander to slightly taper the end so there's a press fit into the float box fitting. No problem with it falling out, and can easily remove for cleaning.
    Dave Barker
    2022 150 taps

Thanks for the update!
    Sunrise 2X4 Hobby
    Smoky Lake Hybrid Pan

100 Taps

40 Taps

Very good there, a great improvement.
    In fact my Thor flue pan came with one very similar, but in SS. It however extends from the back where the float box is, to the middle of that section, then 90 degrees, goes to within a few inches of the front of the pan. Then it flows out there, no end cap. It then moves to the back of the flue pan, across to the other side and forward to the front, where it then exits and can be sent to either of 2 float boxes on the syrup pan. That's how I reverse the flow, same side reverse, open one valve, close the other, and move the float. In the auto draw I then move the temp probe wire to the appropriate terminal. I have a probe on each draw off. Sometime If I remember I'll make a switch to change the terminal used rather than having to move the wire. I just haven't yet.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

We are boiling for the first time today with this modification and WOW what a difference! I didn't notice a problem last year using natural draft but now that I added forced draft to my arch the float box would completely shut off when I was refiring and then GUSH in when I started the fan again

Thanks for posting this!.

I wanted to bring this thread back up to the top. We have been using this modification for 2 years now. It really makes a huge difference in keeping a consistent level in the pans.
    Sunrise 2X4 Hobby
    Smoky Lake Hybrid Pan

100 Taps

40 Taps

Good to hear this is still working out!
    Dave Barker
    2022 150 taps

+ Reply to Thread