+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Scratches in the syrup pan

Default Scratches in the syrup pan

Wonder if anyone out there has ever experimented or successfully removed scratches from their syrup pan. Looks like some kind of rotary tool was used to clean my pan before I bought them. It put swirl marks in a couple of the bays which tend to build up with nitre faster than the other parts. I’m not afraid of trying to polish these out but looking for some advice if anyone has done this before. A brand new front pan is over $1000 so if I can make this one better for now I would be happy. Thanks
    2x8 Smokey Lake Silverplate raised flue
    Around 250 taps mostly on 3/16" and a few on buckets
    CDL Hobby 250 RO
    Lean-to for the sugar shack
    Chainsaws, wood splitter and tractor for more good times

Just a guess, but I'd try a high speed (10,000RPM+) and use about 3000 grit to start, finish with 6000 or even 8000 grit.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Maybe try a micro mesh kit. Similar to what Maple flats suggested. Most kits provide 1500 to 12,000 grit. Slow process but works well.
    12X16 Sugarhouse and 16x24 attached woodshed
    1000 taps
    120 3/16 tubing
    And still some buckets
    Becker U5.70 Rotary vane
    Leader 2X8 Reverse oil fired, Revolution Pans & Steam a way
    Lapierre Turbo 2000 600 GPH RO
    Leader Clear frame filter press
    John Deere Gator 6X4
    Indy 500 and a very large sled.
    Kubota M8200

I do have some pieces of mirror finish I can practice on. It’s worth a shot.
    CDL Hobby 250 RO

not sure if this will help at all but, if you go online and look up polishing dump truck body, there are people who take the most beat up scratched stainless truck bodys and bring them back to a mirror finish, might be some vids on you tube you can check out

My last repair job was to replace a fitting on a finishing pan. As a last step in the process the welder buffed off all the scratches and heat dis-colouration using a green buffing compound which left a mirror finish. Basically the same compound I use on a felt buffing wheel to remove grinder marks and put a mirror finish on a a wood chisel or plane blade. I buy it at Lee Valley Tools and a little goes along way. The fine abrasives are inbedded in wax so clean up is easy.

Veritas Honing Compound
    Item 05M0801, Green Honing Compound, 6 oz

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...d?item=05M0801

Getting ready to try and remove scratches in my syrup pan. Will be using variable speed sander and fine grit flap discs. Will take before and after pics and try to post.Be careful if you use polishing compound inside of pan, I cannot find any food grade ones.
    5th generation
    2 1/2 Buckets
    815 gravity
    2 new flat pans. Back pan now has 16 V's
    Rebuilt the block arch 3x12
    Homemade pre-heater,steamhood
    MES Dolly RO

those ideas all sound good and it's a great idea to test it on some scraps of ss.
    Last edited by maple flats; 01-24-2021 at 10:28 AM.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Sound good. Let ya know how I make out
    CDL Hobby 250 RO

Pan.jpg This is after 2 different grits. a few small scratches left, but smooth to the touch.
    5th generation
    2 1/2 Buckets
    815 gravity
    2 new flat pans. Back pan now has 16 V's
    Rebuilt the block arch 3x12
    Homemade pre-heater,steamhood
    MES Dolly RO

+ Reply to Thread