+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Upgrade

when i go to my profile and the "about me" i don't seem to be able to make changes or add anything?

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by ir3333 View Post
    when i go to my profile and the "about me" i don't seem to be able to make changes or add anything?
    Apparently you don't know enough about yourself.

OK...click on your name along the top, then in the "About me" section after the words "Biography", "Location", etc. there is a little icon that looks like a pencil. Click on those to edit your profile.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Quote Originally Posted by Openwater View Post
    If I plan on boiling on a Saturday AM, and RO'ed some "start-up" sap the Friday night before, would I need to do anything with the RO Bucket overnight (flush, clean, etc) if I'm gonna get it running again in 12 hrs or less on Saturday AM? Or could I just shut it down, and let it sit in a cool/cold garage overnight?
    Hey Openwater - in the process of RO-ing, you will produce some permeate (the pure clean water). Even though you plan on using the RO the next day, I would still rinse it with the permeate that you produced. It may not be enough to do a “real” rinse, but you would be surprised how fast it gets funky. And even a little funk is not what you want. It doesn’t take long to run the permeate through it while you are waiting for your boil to go down enough so you feel comfortable walking away. No need for a chemical rinse.

Last year, I rinsed with permeate well enough each use, so I only used the RO soap (that comes with the RO bucket and very good instructions) at the end of the season.

Oops - I re-read, you are not boiling fri night - I would still use whatever permeate you produced to rinse fri night, and keep it cold but not freezing to reduce bacteria growth.
    2017 - 20ish taps on buckets, boiling outside in two baking pans
    2018 - 70+ taps, 14-buckets, 50+ on tubing, homemade arch from oil tank in my barn, 17 gal syrup
    2019 - same set up, 20 gal syrup
    2020 - less taps, short season, but RO kit was fantastic! 6 gal syrup and a maple cat!
    2021/22/23 - expanded into the neighbors yards! 50 taps on buckets and 40 taps on tubing

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    Apparently you don't know enough about yourself.

OK...click on your name along the top, then in the "About me" section after the words "Biography", "Location", etc. there is a little icon that looks like a pencil. Click on those to edit your profile.
    Thanks Doc!..just can't get a signature now!

TX Guys...i'm shooting for about 5 hr boils with my new set up with about 50 taps.After researching RO
    I don't think i'll benefit from it right now.
    I have the the property next to me which is a 10 acre sugar bush.Although i have no intension of
    getting bigger the option is there and then an RO might be a good idea.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123