+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Portable pump for moving from collection to head tank

Default Portable pump for moving from collection to head tank

I've searched around on this a bit but saw conflicting information about what types of pumps are best for moving sap once collected...I have a great collection point at the bottom of a long set of ridges on our property, however the only flat point to established a sugarhouse / boil location is probably 100-200 yards away and up a 20-30' slope.

Am I looking at a needing one of the big Honda WX15 gas pumps or could I get away with something run on electric like this type of thing?

https://www.morebeer.com/products/pu...hoC_-0QAvD_BwE
    --
    2015: 8 bucket taps (7 red, 1 sugar) on DIY barrel evaporator
    2016: 13 taps (bucket and tube) on block arch and hotel pans
    2017: SAME
    2018: 25 taps on 2x3 flat pan and resurrected barrel arch
    2019: 25 taps...same setup plus DIY 3x150gpd RO filter
    2020: 50 taps, all buckets..."new" oil tank arch setup
    2021: 100 taps (50/50 buckets/3-16 tubing) on 2x4 divided pan
    2022: 150 taps (50/100 b/t) on 2x4 pan with sap warmer pan
    2023: SAME
    2024: 150 taps, added single-post 4x40 RO system

How much sap do you need to move each time you pump? The WX15 might be overkill. A WX10 will do what you want to do. That particular one you found says it's European and would need to be rewired for use in the US so know what you're getting into. We love our 1" Harbor Freight pump. We only pump about 150' and 16' in elevation.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1-in-7...gpm-63404.html

After using both electric and gas pumps, I much prefer the gas ones. We just run non-ethanol to avoid fuel issues.
    305 taps on 2 Shurflo's, 31 taps on 3/16" and 229 taps on gravity. 565 in all
    Mountain Maple S3 controller for 145 of the vacuum taps
    2x6 Darveau Mystique Oil Fired Evaporator w/ Smoky Lake Simplicity Auto Draw
    Wesfab 7” filter press

Quote Originally Posted by mainebackswoodssyrup View Post
    How much sap do you need to move each time you pump? The WX15 might be overkill. A WX10 will do what you want to do. That particular one you found says it's European and would need to be rewired for use in the US so know what you're getting into. We love our 1" Harbor Freight pump. We only pump about 150' and 16' in elevation.

After using both electric and gas pumps, I much prefer the gas ones. We just run non-ethanol to avoid fuel issues.
    Oh nice, I have a Harbor Freight not too far away so I could definitely check that out. I've heard the "Predator" engines are close clones of Honda, and decent ones at that.

I'm similar to you, we don't have too far to move the sap and it is up a significant but short incline.

LASTLY, I just realized this should probably have been posted in Sap Tanks and Handling. Sorry, mods!
    --

Quote Originally Posted by mainebackswoodssyrup View Post

My only question after looking closer at the product is it says it uses a cast-iron impeller vs. the Honda's aluminum...I'm not a food-safe ninny but, at the same time, it seems cast iron isn't the best choice for direct exposure....thoughts?
    --

If you do decide to go with the Harbor Freight pump, I suggest changing out the Chinese spark plug that comes in it with an NGK plug. It will make it a bit easier to start. We have a Honda WX-10 that we use for collecting sap from barrels and tanks in the woods, and the Harbor Freight pump is only used for infrequent sap transfers and as a backup for the Honda. The Honda pump is by far a better pump, especially for ease of starting. One pull and it is running every time. The Harbor Freight pump is a bit temperamental when it comes to starting. Once it is running, it is a great pump, just can be a pain to start.
    Gary
    16' X 24' Sugarhouse
    2' X 6' Leader Inferno Arch with Revolution Raised-Flue Pans, Smoky Lake preheater and hood
    Deer Run Maple gas-powered 250 RO
    WesFab 7" filter press
    Kubota 1100 RTV with tracks and 125 gallon tank for transporting sap
    800 taps on gravity and vacuum
    Very supportive wife who is the best coworker
    http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...ing-Sugarhouse

Yes, good point. We also swapped out for a NGK spark plug based on what others posted. Takes a little to start after sitting for 10 months but usually starts 1 pull once we get it going for the season. In regards to the impeller maybe others can comment on the cast vs aluminum. Neither pump is “good grade” so pick your poison. I’m sure the Honda is a good pump.
    Wesfab 7” filter press

Quote Originally Posted by MISugarDaddy View Post
    If you do decide to go with the Harbor Freight pump, I suggest changing out the Chinese spark plug that comes in it with an NGK plug. It will make it a bit easier to start. We have a Honda WX-10 that we use for collecting sap from barrels and tanks in the woods, and the Harbor Freight pump is only used for infrequent sap transfers and as a backup for the Honda. The Honda pump is by far a better pump, especially for ease of starting. One pull and it is running every time. The Harbor Freight pump is a bit temperamental when it comes to starting. Once it is running, it is a great pump, just can be a pain to start.
    Gary
    Nice...and since I spot a Kubota in your profile pic, how do you like the UTV for sap collection? Do you run tracks all winter?
    --

I picked up the 1" Harbor Freight pump last week myself and was wondering if there was any was anything to be concerned about with running a bleach/water sanitizing solution through it. Planning to hook it up to the collection drums and do the initial sanitizing and hot water rinse by the 23rd and was wondering how the pump would react.

-Aaron
    2020: 2 taps, 1 tree, turkey fryer
    2021: 50 taps, 20x30 Mason/Vermont Evaporator divided pan arch

We run tracks on the Kubota all winter. We have some significant hills in our hardwoods that we would never make it up without them. This is our 10th year of having the tracks and they have definitely paid off over trying to collect with a snowmobile. We have to travel 1/2 mile to get to the trees that we tap and the Kubota has never failed us. We have had snow 4' deep and it just keeps on going, even with 125 gallons of sap in the tank. The nice thing about the tracks, they are 4 season tracks so when the snow melts and the trail becomes muddy, we continue to use them. Even loaded the Kubota doesn't cut in on soft mud so we don't have to worry about repairing the trails in the spring.
    Regarding your question on the cast-iron vs. aluminum impeller, I do not think that there is much, if any, risk to leaching contaminants into sap when it passes through either pump. This is like the concern people have expressed about the pumps on filter presses that have brass bushings. Dr. Perkins said in a thread about that concern that the amount of lead leaching into syrup from those pumps is so minute that it is almost immeasurable, even though the syrup is at 200 +/- degrees. With the limited amount of time that the sap has contact with the surfaces in a transfer pump, it should be fine to use either pump.
    Gary
    16' X 24' Sugarhouse
    2' X 6' Leader Inferno Arch with Revolution Raised-Flue Pans, Smoky Lake preheater and hood
    Deer Run Maple gas-powered 250 RO
    WesFab 7" filter press
    Kubota 1100 RTV with tracks and 125 gallon tank for transporting sap
    800 taps on gravity and vacuum
    Very supportive wife who is the best coworker
    http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...ing-Sugarhouse

We do run a water/bleach solution through the pump at the end of the season then around 100 gallons of water at mid idle before we use it to pump sap the following season.
    Wesfab 7” filter press

+ Reply to Thread