+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hardy County

Jacob,
    Odd’s your getting over run; some of my taps have slowed way down others are not that old and seem to be wide open Sunday and Monday; amazing how a cold wind will slow them, should have run hard Friday and Saturday. Hopefully I will have another 2000 gallon plus waiting on me tomorrow when I go back to WV. My helper is rushing the sap into a room where the sun is not warming the sap to much, this maybe my best season ever, all I will say at this point that if it turns out to be a new camp record their will be people unhappy with what I did this year!
    Mark 220 Maple
    1100 taps on low vaccum, 900 on gravity.
    900 plus taps leased and on high vacuum
    35 cfm Indiana Liquid Ring Vacuum Pump
    80% Sugar, 20% Red MAPLES
    http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/g...Maple%20Syrup/

all done here in morgan county now the cleaning up and dreaming about next years season!!!! Mark glad to hear you are ok.

Finished up running laterals today on our new vacuum expansion. It will allow us to move our buckets closer in to roads and the shack. Hope to start tapping tomorrow for some good runs later in the week.
    2023 - 38 Gallons - RO broke, Buckets didn't run, rebuilt vacuum pump mid-season, still made good syrup!
    2022 - 52 Gallons - DIY RO, 50% less fuel, no late nights in the shack!
    2021 - 48 Gallons - new pans, new arch, lots of new taps and tubing
    2020 - 32 Gallons
    2019 - 27 Gallons

Darkmachine
    Good Luck, the forecast has folks excited! I started last Monday, have had a couple days of good runs, going to be a lot taps put in the Great State of West Virginia this week.
    Mark 220 Maple

Quote Originally Posted by 220 maple View Post
    Darkmachine
    Good Luck, the forecast has folks excited! I started last Monday, have had a couple days of good runs, going to be a lot taps put in the Great State of West Virginia this week.
    Mark 220 Maple
    How are you fairing down there with this crazy "winter"? Starting to be concerning with the 10day and feel like I shoulda tapped 3 weeks ago maybe! I'm gonna tap this week since feb 14th is usually the baseline. 4 days over 50 in the 10day forecast hopefully wont get the trees starting into bud mode.

I would have liked to be in at least a week earlier, but can't go back and fix that, I'm glad i'm getting sap now. I still have about 100 buckets to hang. I got about 200 gallons of sap yesterday afternoon so i need to fire up the RO, looks like i'll boil a few hours tonight. I think everyone feels better once they get started, it's the waiting and wondering that's killer.
    2023 - 38 Gallons - RO broke, Buckets didn't run, rebuilt vacuum pump mid-season, still made good syrup!
    2022 - 52 Gallons - DIY RO, 50% less fuel, no late nights in the shack!
    2021 - 48 Gallons - new pans, new arch, lots of new taps and tubing
    2020 - 32 Gallons
    2019 - 27 Gallons

Default Morgan co.

Started a week or so ago. I agree 10 day forecast not looking good? I got a surprise freeze last nite . My
    Vacuum on and flooding in so yep looks like some cooking tonight! Sugar content up over years past! Best of luck to your season! Still would like to get over your way sometime.

WV sugarshak

WV Sugarshack,
    Sad that we are concerned this early in February about the weather, just Twenty years ago the standard was tap the first warm day after Groundhog Day! Now it is too warm to tap in early January, season compression! Dr. Rechlin and I have been having this discussion for the past two seasons! Oh well I do have 2500 gallons plus of sap off of the last freeze that will be ROed then boiled tomorrow
    Mark 220 Maple

Quote Originally Posted by 220 maple View Post
    WV Sugarshack,
    Sad that we are concerned this early in February about the weather, just Twenty years ago the standard was tap the first warm day after Groundhog Day! Now it is too warm to tap in early January, season compression! Dr. Rechlin and I have been having this discussion for the past two seasons! Oh well I do have 2500 gallons plus of sap off of the last freeze that will be ROed then boiled tomorrow
    Mark 220 Maple
    almost starting to wonder if the trees could start budding any day now

Canaanmaple,
    Yesterday day I was at new camp helping a new producer, first time boiling sap, he might actually be closer to you air miles than to me! He is four miles behind the locked gate on the road that goes from the Northfork valley to Red Creek thru Dolly Sods. His elevation is somewhere around 3300 hundred feet, I seen no sign of budding, you should be fine, I on the other hand is seeing things I don’t like, Easter lily growth, absolute sign the ground is getting warm, the peep frogs will be warming up there vocal chords especially the fat female ones��
    Mark 220 Maple

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast