+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Maple gummies

Default Maple gummies

As I was paging through the new CDL catalog I noticed that they had the recipe for making maple gummies. Anyone out there making gummy candies for selling?

We have tried it with mixed results. Wanted to do it with all natural ingredients but could not get consistent results in shelf life. Sometimes they would last a month and other times only a few days before going moldy.
    First introduced to making maple syrup in 1969
    Making syrup every year since 1979
    3 x 10 oil fired
    Revolution syrup and max flue pan
    Almost 1300 taps total with 900 on high vacuum
    Bought first Marcland drawoff in 1997, still going strong.

We just read the recipe for maple gummies in the CDL catalog. Says they only keep for 3 or 4 days in the fridge. That will not work for retail. You need at least 6 months of unrefrigerated shelf life. We tried many different all natural preservatives but could not find one that worked.
    3 x 10 oil fired

After seeing they only last for 3 to 4 days in the fridge I knew they wouldnt work for wholesale but figured maybe make x amount the day before sitting at the markets and just sell packets of 6 to 12 for people to eat while walking around or buy for kids to snack on. Bought some gelatin today will be ordering some maple leaf candy molds and do some experimenting with it some to try out.

The only problem with your plan is you must tell your customers they have to eat them immediately or they will go bad. That may not be very good for sales. Once they buy them at your booth and walk away you have no way of knowing how long they may hang onto them before eating them.
    3 x 10 oil fired

I would make up a label where I can put day made and then include the 3 to 4 days shelf life in the refrigerator. I figured it would be worth trying, if it dont work then so be it but if it goes over well then great. I appreciate your input on what you've experienced dealing with gummies! Thank you.

+ Reply to Thread