+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Submersible pump suggestions for IBC tote

Default Submersible pump suggestions for IBC tote

I've been looking to see what I can find for a submersible pump that fits in an IBC tote tank. Based on what I've learned the submersible pump needs an outside diameter of under 5.5". I'm wondering if the community can offer me some suggestions?

Take a look at using a 12 volt bilge pump to transfer sap from one tank to another. If there is lift involved, the bilge pump won't pump up a hill for ver much distance. I used a bilge pump to empty a tote into a tank in the back of my UTV to get sap back to the shack. Worked well.
    Chad

2014: 12 taps, 5 gal buckets
    2015: 15 taps on bags
    2016: 150 taps: 100 on bags, 50 on 3/16" natural vac, 2x8 AUF/AOF Homebuilt Arch, 2x8 SL Drop Flu & Auto Draw, SL Propane Canner/Bottler
    2017: 225 taps: Built Lean to, Added SL hood, preheater, concentric exhaust, SL SS 7" SB Filter Press
    2018: 180 taps: Added Shurflo to 50 - 3/16", Auto fill sensor to head tank
    2019: No tapping
    2020: 175 taps
    2021: 300 taps, homemade RO and releaser
    2022: 600+ taps

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
    I've been looking to see what I can find for a submersible pump that fits in an IBC tote tank. Based on what I've learned the submersible pump needs an outside diameter of under 5.5". I'm wondering if the community can offer me some suggestions?
    You should specify how many gpm you are hoping to achieve and whether or not you are concerned about the pump being suitable for a food product. For instance, most bilge pumps are suitable for pumping bilge water...
    About 750 taps on High Vac.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO
    14 x 24 Timber Frame SugarHouse
    16 x 22 Sap Shed w/ 1500 gal. + 700 gal. tanks
    www.littlehogbackfarm.com

Right now I'm just trying to find a submersible pump that will fit through the opening that has bottom suction. I've seen the 4" deep well submersible pumps but they have center suction...

Amazon has many to choose from https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

I bought a submersible for RV water system, just like a bilge pump I don't remember the brand.
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

why not pull sap from the drain port on the bottom of the tote?
    I'd find fittings to drop the diameter to whatever tube you need and then plumb in a Everflo pump or the like...
    2024 - 160 taps, Shurflo 4048. Sap Sucker 4-D. Mason 2x4 Raised Flue. 5x400 RO.
    2023 - 121 taps. Shurflo 4008. Sap Sucker 4-D. Mason 2x4 XL, 4x150 RO. 20 gallons.
    2022 - 103 taps. Shurflo 4008. Sap Sucker 4-D. Mason 2x4 XL, 4x150 RO. 23 gallons.
    2021 - 77 taps on Shurflo 4008. Sap Sucker 4-D. Mason 2x4 XL, 4x150 RO. 22 gallons.
    2020 - 70ish taps on Shurflo 4008. Mason 2x4 XL. DIY R.O. ~24 gallons.

That's how most do it, draw from the bottom, using a pump made for potable water, but not cast iron.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by bryankloos View Post
    why not pull sap from the drain port on the bottom of the tote?
    I've considered that, however I haven't come up with a pump that can be connected/disconnected and transported relatively easily to do that. Other considerations that go along with that approach are priming the pump in which case I would need to be lower than the tank outlet or get creative. Also, I'm thinking I'd need to take appropriate measures to ensure that the pump doesn't freeze with liquid in it...

I've also considered the diaphragm pump and like how they are quite portable and I don't have to worry about priming, however I don't really want to wait around between 30 and 50 minutes for a tank to pump under ideal conditions.

I like the submersible approach because it's easy to install and remove (provided I find the correct size pump), has a decent flow rate, priming isn't an issue, and freezing the pump isn't a problem because it will drain out when the pump is removed from the tank.

I'm here to learn though, so I'm open to suggestions/guidance.

I use 1 of 2 pumps. When time counts, I connect my WX15 to the tank and pump. When time allows I connect my 1hp SS electric pump, and turn it on. On my IBC totes and those from any sap suppliers, I have hose adapters to connect them using SS cam lock fittings. I can however also suck out of the top, and do on occasion, but far prefer drawing off the bottom. Both of those pumps require priming by filling the housing and when finished, I open the drain plug. Back when I hauled sap from remote sugar bushes, I never drained for the drive to the sugarhouse (up to miles and lots of hills). except before I had the WX15 Honda I had a 1" Briggs & Stratton and it did freeze once, so I had to warm the pump, the impeller would not turn. (nothing harmed) Never had that with the WX15. The B&S had a very slim housing and held very little water, the Honda WX15 holds a lot of water, takes far longer to freeze.
    Pumping off the bottom, all you do to prime the pump is open the IBC tote valve, keep the pump lower than the water/sap level.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Like you, for a few seasons I emptied my remote tanks from the top with a Rule pump. It was slooooooowwwww, but got the job done. It was 12v and I plugged it at the back of my truck. I lost a lot of gpm because I was pumping from the bottom of the collection tank up to the top of the tank in the back of the truck - 8-10'?

Then I got the Honda WX10 and cam lock fittings for the tanks. Woohoo! It's no WX15, but it is a little workhorse. Lightweight, but powerful. It's expensive, but you'll only buy it once. The only down side is that I used to do a walk of the lines while the Rule pump was doing its thing. Now, I don't have that time.

No need to worry about priming when pumping from the outlet. All that pressure fills the housing and most of the line beyond.
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast