+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Tapping Central Pa 2021

Thanks for the reassurance, Paddy. I'm south of you just across the river from Harrisburg; only 5 miles west of the Susquehanna but our temp is usually at least 5 degrees cooler than the east side of the river.
    I've only done 2 batch boils so far and feel like I finally have the boiling process/routine dialed-in. Would hate to think the season's end is in sight already. I'm only collecting with drops into buckets (no vacuum), so assume my tap holes are probably only good for 4-6 weeks from what I've read, and I've already been tapped for over 4 wks.
    2020 - 1st year - 13 black walnut taps - 4 bottles syrup
    2021 - 50 taps, 21 black walnuts/26 reds - 3 gallons syrup

This will be perfect for me. My bush is on the north side so these temps won’t bother me one bit.
    6 year Backyard producer
    2 little sap haulers
    leader half pint clone, wood fired
    50 buckets or so
    http://photobucket.com/albums/x473/Sleauber/Turtle Creek Maple Syrup

We had a great Maple Open House this weekend! We made lots of steam and had about 75 people each day. We were really surprised
    that we had a lot of people right up until 5:00 this afternoon when we were done.
    All in all very pleased at the turnout.
    90 taps on vacuum
    155 taps on 5/16 gravity
    105 taps on 3/16 gravity
    about 45 buckets
    neighbor bringing from 45 taps

http://s848.photobucket.com/albums/a...%20Sugarshack/

Quote Originally Posted by Paddymountain View Post
    We had a great Maple Open House this weekend! We made lots of steam and had about 75 people each day. We were really surprised
    that we had a lot of people right up until 5:00 this afternoon when we were done.
    All in all very pleased at the turnout.
    What sort of demos did you do? When we had a girl scout troop come out on Saturday, they tapped a tree (with a brace and bit), tasted sap and syrup, and hand-pumped a bit of syrup through my filter press. I was worried that they would be cold as our maple syrup kitchen is not heated and the temperature was around 32, but nobody complained.
    Last edited by HowardR; 03-08-2021 at 08:40 AM.
    680 5/16 taps on gravity
    red and sugar maples
    2 Homemade ROs
    Stovetop evaporator
    Filter press by Daryl
    Star San Tube Pump
    Drying rack for hydrometer
    Loves tapping in snow

HowardR: Yeah I usually let the kids tap a tree and hang a bucket! It was so cold on Saturday I didn't think it would run.
    And yesterday I just plain forgot. I can hardly talk today from talking nonstop all weekend. We always treat people to waffle strips
    and hot syrup in a dixie cup. They seem to really like that. This year I made maple glazed walnuts and set them out to sell.
    They were gone both day by noon! We run out of sap on Sunday about 2:30 so we just explained how the evaporator worked, but it also warmed
    up enough to fire up the vacuum pump, and they got to see the releaser in action. Also filtered some syrup yesterday and bottled a little
    so they could see that process. Had a few people say " now we know why maple syrup costs so much". Glad we could educate more
    people about the wonderful world of maple.
    90 taps on vacuum
    155 taps on 5/16 gravity
    105 taps on 3/16 gravity
    about 45 buckets

Paddymountain, You put on a great show for your visitors!

My sap is pouring out today. This will be, by far, my biggest run of the year. It's going to be a challenge to keep up with it.
    Last edited by HowardR; 03-09-2021 at 12:42 PM.
    680 5/16 taps on gravity
    red and sugar maples
    2 Homemade ROs
    Stovetop evaporator
    Filter press by Daryl
    Star San Tube Pump
    Loves tapping in snow

Just came up from boiling. We collected about 450 gallons today: I started at six, but couldn't get through it all.
    Looks like 30 degrees here tonight so I believe tomorrow could be as good as today.
    Went over the 30 gallon mark last night, and may hit 50 after we get this run all processed. The warm days are going to hurt,
    but if we make it until Friday next week looks good.
    90 taps on vacuum
    155 taps on 5/16 gravity
    105 taps on 3/16 gravity
    about 45 buckets

Quote Originally Posted by Paddymountain View Post
    Just came up from boiling. We collected about 450 gallons today: I started at six, but couldn't get through it all.
    Looks like 30 degrees here tonight so I believe tomorrow could be as good as today.
    Went over the 30 gallon mark last night, and may hit 50 after we get this run all processed. The warm days are going to hurt,
    but if we make it until Friday next week looks good.
    Paddymountain, Your experience and mine are very similar:
    • My syrup numbers this season are about the same as yours.
    • I also didn't get through all of the sap last night.
    • I also got a nice frost last night, so the sap is again pouring in today, and with a warm night forecast for tonight it will keep pouring in all night.
    And to think, just a few days ago we were complaining that we weren't getting enough sap this season!
    Last edited by HowardR; 03-10-2021 at 10:08 AM.
    680 5/16 taps on gravity
    red and sugar maples
    2 Homemade ROs
    Stovetop evaporator
    Filter press by Daryl
    Star San Tube Pump
    Loves tapping in snow

My RO's have been running 24/7 for about 48 hours now. My wife and I bottled 12.5 gallons of syrup yesterday, and my guess is that we'll have about the same amount to bottle this evening. I am staying on top of things, but just barely. I built my first RO after a season like this which ended with me pitching hundreds of gallons of sap because I coudn't process them before they went bad.

On another note, the ticks around here are bad right now. I picked up one yesterday. A friend of mine says her boys were playing outside yesterday and they picked up several. This afternoon, I'm going to be spraying my maple bush clothing with Sawyer's Premium Insect Repellent. It really works! Here's the link.
    Last edited by HowardR; 03-11-2021 at 07:54 AM.
    680 5/16 taps on gravity
    red and sugar maples
    2 Homemade ROs
    Stovetop evaporator
    Filter press by Daryl
    Star San Tube Pump
    Loves tapping in snow

I’m with you Howard! I have about 500 gallons to boil today. Tomorrow I want to wash out all my tanks and wait for the next freeze!
    90 taps on vacuum
    155 taps on 5/16 gravity
    105 taps on 3/16 gravity
    about 45 buckets

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast