+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Draining a flat pan to finish

Default Draining a flat pan to finish

Last year was my first year boiling on an actual evaporator setup - 16x30 flat pan StarCat from Smoky Lake. When I would get close, I would draw off the entire batch and finish it on the propane fryer base so I could better control the boil. To prevent the flat pan from scorching, I slid a piece of 3/4" plywood under the pan and did my draw. Before removing the wood, I flooded the pan with regular water and left it to cool overnight. That also gave me a nice way to rinse the pan before it sat for a week until I boiled again.

Would I be further ahead to manage the end of my burn better and just leave the near syrup in the pan overnight? Then I would be doing the draw when everything was cool. I'm curious to hear how others do it.

Edit: I found my own answer, but would still like to hear new input, if there is any. http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...o-stop-boiling
    Last edited by Ryne; 01-08-2021 at 12:50 PM.

what i did was when i was getting close to finishing was to stop adding wood and let the fire die down, once i felt it was cool enough to not scorch the pan id draw off what syrup i add and then add water to the pan

Does the thickness of your pan play a role? I used buffet pans last year and they were probably 24 gauge. I would dump my boiling syrup into my finishing pan and set the buffet pan aside (off the heat). Those pans didn't seem to need any special attention.

This year I'm using an 18 gauge flat pan so I am curious what people say.

**edit: now I realize you are talking about draining your pan over a wood fire. I burn gas so I just shut it off when I want to stop, dump my pans, and don't have any issues with scorching the pans. But wood is different, so sorry I can't help.
    Last edited by jdircksen; 01-09-2021 at 07:59 PM.
    2021: 28 taps. 18"x36" flat pan and dual natural gas burners.
    2020: 31 taps. 3 full size steam table pans on a custom 6x water heater natural gas burner setup.
    2019: 31 taps on silvers. Back porch gas cook top with 2 full size steam table pans. An amazing 14.9 gallons in my backyard!
    2018: 22 taps on 9 silvers. Propane turkey fryer and full size steam table pan on electric stove. I made 4.25 gallons in my backyard!

thin pans increase the boiling rate tremendously!
    Letting the arch cool with sap in your pan will continue evaporation...a bonus!

I may try letting it cool on the arch for the first run, see how it goes.

conveyor2.jpg
    I boil to 217.5 and then roll the pan off and filter into 5 gallon containers immediately while hot. I take the near syrup home and finish off on propane and filter again.
    1960 - 1970s 70 taps on galvanized buckets with Dad and Grandpa.
    1970s - 1985 Acted crazy!
    1986 - 2005 20-30 buckets.
    2006- 2017 70 buckets and bags
    2017-2019 100 bags and buckets
    2020 Finally retired!!! 75 buckets, 50-75 on tubing. RO Bucket, New 12 X 16 Shack and a 42X42 flat pan.
    2021-Adding another 125 taps along with a second RO bucket.
    2022- Shooting for 350 taps, with 100 on lines.
    Lots of Family and Friends and dogs named Skyy and Nessy!

I have a 4'x2' flat pan on a homemade brick arch inside a cinder block sugar shack with a pulley system connected to the rafters. I draw off after two days of boiling when there is about 1/2" to 3/4" in the pan. Lift the pan up high enough to slide a metal shield under the pan, remove one s bracket to I can tilt my pan and filter hot into 5 gallon food grade buckets. Re attached the s bracket and put about 10 gallons of water in pan with a 4 litre jug of vinegar. I give the pan a quick scrub with a nylon bbq brush then come back later once the water has cooled and clean the pan. Refill the pan with fresh sap so it's ready for the morning.

I finish my almost syrup in a 10 gallon brew kettle on an outside propane burner then filter again into another brew kettle with a spigot. I can now keep the syrup warm enough on the stove top while filling my bottles.

Lanark, do you rinse the pan with clean water prior to putting sap in it after you do the quick scrub?
    2004 - 2012 2x3 flat pan 25 to 60 taps
    2012 2x3 new divided pan w/draw off 55 taps
    2018 - didn't boil surgery - bought new evaporator
    2019 new SML 2x4 raised flue high output evap. 65 taps
    made 17 gal. syrup
    2020 - only put out 53 taps - made 16.25 ga.l syrup
    2021 - Didn't work out
    2022 - 25 taps on bags / 8 taps on 3/16's line - late start

I do rinse with clean water and I have old but clean dish towels that I wipe the pan down with to remove pretty much any of the clean water then fill with clean sap. I like to fill my pan with clean sap in the evening because I have no hydro at the shack and some mornings when it's -20C things are a little frozen. This way I just light a fire and walk back to the house.

Lanark, just noticed you're from Ontario, and I was wondering your location. My Grandma was from Lakefield, Ont. which is just north of Peterbourgh. She passed away a few years ago. Sure do miss going up to the lake. Have a lot of good memories though.
    2004 - 2012 2x3 flat pan 25 to 60 taps
    2012 2x3 new divided pan w/draw off 55 taps
    2018 - didn't boil surgery - bought new evaporator
    2019 new SML 2x4 raised flue high output evap. 65 taps
    made 17 gal. syrup
    2020 - only put out 53 taps - made 16.25 ga.l syrup
    2021 - Didn't work out
    2022 - 25 taps on bags / 8 taps on 3/16's line - late start

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast