+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bottling Debate - Lay them on their side or not?

I've never bottled without laying the bottle (or jug) on it's side for 30 seconds to several minutes. I have a rolling rack right beside my bottling station. It has several shelves (big commercial baking sheets, about 18" x 28"). I use 2 or 3 shelves to stage onto. If working alone I then move them to set upright on the top of my 2 freezers. There they get labeled and priced. Once cooled some get boxed back up, others get set down into one of the freezers. I have 2 such freezers, one has 1/2 gal only and has shelves. As a row gets filled up, a new shelf is set right on the top of the jugs and a new row is started. The HG has 3 layers when full. The other freezer is qts, pints and half pints. Qts go in the deep end and everything else in over the raised compressor part. Qts have 4 layers, pints and half pints only 2 layers.
    I bought those freezers at a yard sale about 10 years ago for $40 for the 2 of them. They are the type you used to see in mom & pop stores with ice cream novelties in them. Turned out to be a good investment. I shut them off mid- late October and turn them back on about May 1-15.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

The other thing i do during the bottling process is to mark them with the year and the boil number on the bottom of the bottle. For example - 20-9 would be the 9th boil in 2020. This inventory process allows me to better track production and provides a good record if a quality control check is necessary.
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

Never had one leak!! and we mark them with batch #, year, barrel, grade and name after they have cooled. We send syrup all over the U.S and even have shipped some to the Philippines. Our syrup has made it all the way to Hawaii and Alaska even England. PS my wife said tighten the cap up. If it's leaking, It's not hot packed.
    Blaisdell's Maple Farm
    started on a 2x2 pan in 2000 and now
    custom built oil fired 4x12 arch by me
    Thor pans Desinged by Thad Blaisdell
    4600 taps on a drop flue 8-4 split

We lay all our filled bottles on their sides for at least 30 seconds before standing them up. OMSPA recently did research on molds found in maple syrup and this was one of the recommended best practices, if my memory is correct.
    4,600 Taps on vacuum
    9,400 gallons storage
    3 tower CDL RO
    3.5'x14' Lapierre Force 5
    Twitter & Instagram: @ennismaple
    www.ennismaple.com

Do be careful. I used to lay them all down until the batch was done, then stand them all up. Last spring I had some caps that would soften with the heat and after a few minutes on their sides, there would be a pop and the cap would fly off and syrup would start flowing out. So now I fill and cap a bottle, lay it down, then stand up the one done before it. Takes a minute or two to fill and cap each bottle, so the one prior had more than enough time on its side to sterilize the cap.

Resist the urge to re-tighten the cap after standing the bottle up. The softened cap can stretch and pop off the threads and you need to start over.
    Big_Eddy
    Eastern Ontario (Quinte)
    20+ years on a 2x3 block arch,
    Homemade 20"x64" drop flue since 2011

Build a Block Arch
    Build a Flat Pan
    Build a Flue Pan
    Sweetening the Pans
    Build a Bending Brake
    Using a Hydrotherm
    How much Sap to Sweeten?

We always lay ours on there side and there are times they sit like that for days. I understand the concern of space, it does become an issue.
    1986-2002 2x6 Leader evaporator 150 taps drop tubes
    Life happens
    2015 130 taps drop tubes and sap sacs
    2016 225 taps drop tubes and sap sacs
    2017 300+? MicRO single membrane
    2019 325 taps 81 gallons made, most ever for us
    2020 2x6 Smoky Lake evaporator 400 taps with 160 on a guzzler pump
    2021..... a lot more line and vacuum

We lay them on their side as well. Does take up a bit more room but I don't leave them like that for longer than the bottling session. I've found the only issue I've had with leaking was self inflicted. Filling too high to the brim didn't allow much room for any changes which wouldn't allow the seal to hold. Now I'm diligent to leave just enough room at the top for expansion with the heat.
    Mead Maple "It's for the kids..."
    Paul Cerminara
    2019 - First season ever
    -Goal: 3 gallons
    -Season Total: 7.5 gallons - pulled taps after running out of firewood and time
    Built 2'x8' Oil Fired with Thor drop flue pans
    -Goal: 20 gallons
    -Season Total: 55 gallons

Years ago I took a maple class from Glen Goodrich. And what he was teaching was once you capped the jug to turn it upside down and than back and place it standing up. I have done that for 20 years never had an issue and I have open jugs that where 3 years old and never found mold. But its clear that one way or another you need to sterilize the air space.
    110 taps W.F Mason 2x3 and two turkey friers for finishing

2011 expanding to a Mason 2x4 with a blower increasing taps to about 200
    2011 Hurricane Irene rips thru my small sugar bush cost me to lose 20% of taps
    2014 I have reworked my lines for 2014
    32 taps on 5/16 line with check valves
    57 taps on 3/16 line with check valves
    55 buckets with total tapped trees of 144

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12