+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SmellsLikeSyrup NH 2020 (SMD Maple Syrup)

Default SmellsLikeSyrup NH 2020 (SMD Maple Syrup)

Happy 2021!!

Hopefully things get a lot better than this past year and we can return to some sense of normalcy.

Big year for me at SMD Maple, my wife and I welcomed twin boys on Nov 16th. Mom and the boys are both doing well, we are getting a lot less sleep and the house is a bit noisier but overall we are very happy and excited about our new additions.

On the maple side of things, I continue to tinker and try and improve my setup and capacity. I have a new property I am tapping this year that has the potential to be over 500 taps. My biggest issue with it is, 1) its not mine, and 2) the location of where I can put my collection tank. I think I have a solution for this season, but as it expands I need to come up with something better. I will be running a Shurflo pump and 5/16 lines this year on it. I will have 200 taps on this bush and after I see the results I will decide and plan out my expansion to tap it all using real mainlines and laterals for next year and increasing the tap count.

On my own property I ran 1500ft of 3/4" mainline and I have 27 laterals on 3 branches from the mainline for a total of 250 taps. I will run that with a 2 stage 12CFM pump and a Bender Releaser. Im kind of excited and curious to see how this will work out.

I rebuilt my RO again, just laid out the system differently on the dolly I am using and I added flow meters. There is more I would like to do to the RO, such as putting in a pressure switch. I am just hesitant to install anything else that will restrict flow. The switches Ive seen only seem to have a 1/2" port and with everything else on the RO being bigger than that I dont want to risk it being hampered or slowed down.

I'll update as the season goes along.

-SMD Maple
    2021 Twin Baby Boys, Close to 650 taps
    2020 Upgraded RO to 2 post and 7GBS Gould Pump. 265 taps
    2019 New Smoky Lake 2x6 raised flue, Simplicity Autodraw system, The Maple Guys Maple Jet Filter Press, a beautiful new bride to be my sugaring partner :-)
    2018 Deployed
    2017 Expanded Sugar Shack, new 2x6 with float box, NEXTgen Maple RO, 250+ taps (I hope for 300), still on sap sacks
    2016 New Sugar Shack, 2x6 evaporator, 160 taps, all on Sap Sacks
    2015 Deployed
    2014 110 taps
    2013 35 taps

Smells like syrup,
    Congrats on the twin boys. I'll just give you a heads up now remember the 2 hour feeding schedule. In about 14 years it is going to return only in larger portions. Sounds like you are going to be a busy man. Don't get so big that it takes the fun out of making syrup. make sure you can handle what you are planning to do. I know Maple flats has some experience with the WX15 pumps. From what I can remember reading on the forum you should be able to pump your sap with this.
    2004 - 2012 2x3 flat pan 25 to 60 taps
    2012 2x3 new divided pan w/draw off 55 taps
    2018 - didn't boil surgery - bought new evaporator
    2019 new SML 2x4 raised flue high output evap. 65 taps
    made 17 gal syrup
    2020 - only put out 53 taps - made 16.25 gal syrup
    2021 - going for 50 bags and 50 on tubing

Good luck on the season and congrats on the twins. Sounds like you are building a good workforce for the future. Wont be much longer down here in Hudson. Would like to see a little more cold before I get started. Any land yours or not is a blessing down here as most of it is being stripped and developed. I have been looking for the past year with no luck. Let us know when you get rolling!

19x48 mini pro oil fired
    6x12 sugar house off back of shed
    2019- 50 taps all buckets- 6 Gallons syrup made
    2020 -50 taps, more Sugar Maples, with some Reds- 6 gallons made
    2021- Going to 3/16 tubing on about 25 taps, rest buckets
    Two kids one patient wife

+ Reply to Thread