+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SmellsLikeSyrup NH 2020 (SMD Maple Syrup)

Default SmellsLikeSyrup NH 2020 (SMD Maple Syrup)

Happy 2021!!

Hopefully things get a lot better than this past year and we can return to some sense of normalcy.

Big year for me at SMD Maple, my wife and I welcomed twin boys on Nov 16th. Mom and the boys are both doing well, we are getting a lot less sleep and the house is a bit noisier but overall we are very happy and excited about our new additions.

On the maple side of things, I continue to tinker and try and improve my setup and capacity. I have a new property I am tapping this year that has the potential to be over 500 taps. My biggest issue with it is, 1) its not mine, and 2) the location of where I can put my collection tank. I think I have a solution for this season, but as it expands I need to come up with something better. I will be running a Shurflo pump and 5/16 lines this year on it. I will have 200 taps on this bush and after I see the results I will decide and plan out my expansion to tap it all using real mainlines and laterals for next year and increasing the tap count.

On my own property I ran 1500ft of 3/4" mainline and I have 27 laterals on 3 branches from the mainline for a total of 250 taps. I will run that with a 2 stage 12CFM pump and a Bender Releaser. Im kind of excited and curious to see how this will work out.

I rebuilt my RO again, just laid out the system differently on the dolly I am using and I added flow meters. There is more I would like to do to the RO, such as putting in a pressure switch. I am just hesitant to install anything else that will restrict flow. The switches Ive seen only seem to have a 1/2" port and with everything else on the RO being bigger than that I dont want to risk it being hampered or slowed down.

I'll update as the season goes along.

-SMD Maple
    2022 4x40" RO, Welch 1397 Vac Pump, 3 Guzzler Pumps, Lapierre Releaser, 1100 taps
    2021 Twin Baby Boys, Close to 650 taps
    2020 Upgraded RO to 2 post and 7GBS Pump. 265 taps
    2019 Smoky Lake 2x6 raised flue, Autodraw system, Maple Jet Filter Press, a beautiful new bride to be my sugaring partner :-)
    2017 Expanded Sugar Shack, new 2x6 with float box, NEXTgen Maple RO, 250+ taps, still on sap sacks
    2016 Sugar Shack, 2x6 evaporator, 160 taps, all on Sap Sacks
    2014 110 taps
    2013 35 taps

Smells like syrup,
    Congrats on the twin boys. I'll just give you a heads up now remember the 2 hour feeding schedule. In about 14 years it is going to return only in larger portions. Sounds like you are going to be a busy man. Don't get so big that it takes the fun out of making syrup. make sure you can handle what you are planning to do. I know Maple flats has some experience with the WX15 pumps. From what I can remember reading on the forum you should be able to pump your sap with this.
    2004 - 2012 2x3 flat pan 25 to 60 taps
    2012 2x3 new divided pan w/draw off 55 taps
    2018 - didn't boil surgery - bought new evaporator
    2019 new SML 2x4 raised flue high output evap. 65 taps
    made 17 gal. syrup
    2020 - only put out 53 taps - made 16.25 ga.l syrup
    2021 - Didn't work out
    2022 - 25 taps on bags / 8 taps on 3/16's line - late start

Good luck on the season and congrats on the twins. Sounds like you are building a good workforce for the future. Wont be much longer down here in Hudson. Would like to see a little more cold before I get started. Any land yours or not is a blessing down here as most of it is being stripped and developed. I have been looking for the past year with no luck. Let us know when you get rolling!

19x48 mini pro oil fired, Nano R/O, CDL Vacuum Press,Mountain Maple Vacuum setup
    6x12 sugar house off back of shed
    2024-103 Taps Mostly Sugars, Dozen Reds
    "The days are long, but the years are short"

Tapped 660 on Friday. I really thought it was going to take me at least 2 days to get them all done, but that new DeWalt 20v with MES tapping bit just flies through the trees.

Yesterday the sap was flowing for me in Merrimack, not enough to boil but it was nice to see the ShurFlo setups pumping sap through the lines. I got about 20 gallons but I am not collecting it until I have enough to sweeten my pans.

Starting to get a little nervous about my Bender Releaser setup. If I disconnect the pump and hold my finger over the inlet my gauges shoots right to 28Hg and just sits there. Definitely plenty of vacuum power. Connected back to my lines going through the Bender I am seeing 10-15Hg, with the needle just bouncing non stop. Im hoping once the sap starts flowing and the Checkvalves can close properly I see better results than that. I am going to be pretty disappointed if its not sitting at at least 20Hg. Maybe my expectations are too high? Wont know for sure until its running. Im hoping by Wednesday with the projected 50 degree day I will see lots of flows.

-SMD
    2022 4x40" RO, Welch 1397 Vac Pump, 3 Guzzler Pumps, Lapierre Releaser, 1100 taps
    2019 Smoky Lake 2x6 raised flue, Autodraw system, Maple Jet Filter Press, a beautiful new bride to be my sugaring partner :-)
    2017 Expanded Sugar Shack, new 2x6 with float box, NEXTgen Maple RO, 250+ taps, still on sap sacks
    2014 110 taps
    2013 35 taps

you tapped that many in one day? 1. thats a long day in the woods. 2. thats moving... I bought a new Dewalt 20v drill last year as my old 18v was just not getting it done any more and the chuck was loosening up. the 20v will twist your wrist off if it catches. Haven't tried the MES bits. I use the canadian bits from bascom's they have been pretty reliable, although last year I got a bad one just kept catching. got a really good one this year.

If you are only getting 10 to 15 Hg yesterday with a little sap in the lines you have a leak that freezing thawing which is why the needle is moving. when there is liquid in the lines the air is cooled that is sucking in through the leak or leaks. when the ice plugs it up the vacuum goes up when it thaws lets in more air and vacuum goes down. this will happen alot especially when temps are around 33-38 degrees. today will be a good day to start chasing leaks. once things get flowing just a little. its gonna take a few days for the trees to get really going anyway. just in time for the freeze on friday.

good luck!!!
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

www.willowcreeksugarhouse.com
    585 or so on Vacuum, about 35 on buckets/sap sacs
    Atlas Copco GVS 25A Rotary Vane vacuum pump
    MES horizontal electric releaser
    2x6 ss phaneuf Drop flue, Leader woodsaver blower, homemade hood
    300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP
    Its Here!!! 2024 season is here get busy!!!

Hey Brad,
    YES!!! I got them all done in 1 day. I started at 7am and finished about 5pm. 5 Hour Energy drinks were the ticket LOL

The bit found a few dead spots on some trees, when that happened it just sucks the bit right into the tree. I had to use the Reverse to get them out. I think it happened 4 times. Shocks you at 1st when it happens.

As for the Vac issue, I walked the line on Sunday and definitely found a few leaks already. A few Saddles needed to be squeezed on tighter. The Bender design in itself is going to have some leaking. Even if my lines are 100% tight Im still never going to get 28Hg with a Bender for a releaser. Next year, once I make a few $$$ this season, I will use the cash and get a real releaser.
    2014 110 taps
    2013 35 taps

Last year I got a new electric horizontal releaser from MES. its $$$$ but I love it. Had to save a little for that one had to build a new heated insulated 6 x 8 shed too. continuous vacuum is the way to go if you can do it. depending on how your set up is you can do it for cheaper with a verticle releaser but my wood are VERY flat so I needed something very low and MES doesn't have a manifold in their design it just goes right in to the main tank. so it sits lower. And the VFD comes already programed (although the directions were wired backwards and the switchbox was wired backwards as well). Its much easier on the Vacuum pump as well and never have a reverse flow in the lines each time it dumps. I wanted to get a new vac pump this year too but since 2020 sucked for sales overall(no maple weekend) and no fall craft fairs etc. the funds weren't there. Hope you get some sap today.
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

www.willowcreeksugarhouse.com
    585 or so on Vacuum, about 35 on buckets/sap sacs
    Atlas Copco GVS 25A Rotary Vane vacuum pump
    MES horizontal electric releaser
    2x6 ss phaneuf Drop flue, Leader woodsaver blower, homemade hood
    300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP
    Its Here!!! 2024 season is here get busy!!!

Thanks Brad, I had contacted MES about a releaser and they told me they didnt make one rated for 250 taps. I was hoping for a smaller unit, but no luck. Im pretty handy, maybe I will make one once the season is over or I will look for something that meets my needs.

Already 39 in Merrimack, let it flow!!!
    2014 110 taps
    2013 35 taps

Wanted to show a little video of my sap running last night around 930 using my Bender releaser. As fun as it is to see this system actually work I am sure its going to be a 1 season thing for me. I am losing 5-7Hg by default using the Bender with their design not really allowing for an airtight system. Dont get me wrong, I am happy, its working, but I am greedy and want better performance lol.

2014 110 taps
    2013 35 taps

Do you have a check valve in your sap line? How are you loosing 7" how much vac are you pulling? Just trying to figure out the whys
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast