+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Keep it simple

don't want to discourage your enthusiasm... but i agree with the last few posts. it sounds like it's getting a bit complicated, contrary to what you're setting out to do! i'd just either trade or sell the arch for the one you need to match the pans, or vice versa. sell the drop flue pan and get a raised flue pan to match the arch... one that has float boxes. it's money spent now, but i assure you, you'll be much happier in the end!
    Awfully thankful for an understanding wife!

“The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.”
    - Vincent “Vince” Lombardi

Good luck to all!

Quote Originally Posted by Super Sapper View Post
    As you get closer to syrup the density changes quicker as you need to remove less water for each percentage point. You also have a larger volume of sweet or almost syrup evaporating at a higher rate than you would in a syrup pan. If you start making syrup in the middle of the flue pan as does happen with a syrup pan or just get a little distracted it can go down hill faster and would take a lot larger OH CRAP pail to keep from burning the pan. Just remember that when you start up the next boil you will have one very large draw at the beginning and it would be very hard to add fresh sap to push it out before burning.
    Drawing near syrup from one divided worked fine.That's what i was hoping to do by using just the divided drop flue pan.You guys are saying that the
    boil will be too violent and the evaporation rate will be too fast in a drop flue pan.That is exactly what i was asking.I thought it would be ok if was drawing
    near syrup.The idea was to keep it easy but boil faster.
    As for my friend.He is very knowledgable, has a lot of experience with commercial producers and has been making syrup for years.
    As for me, i love to build and try new things.Thanks for all the posts guys.The 100 watt light bulb is a great idea!

This really is some good advice. Raised flue will be much easier to clean. My drop flue has to be picked up and turned over to really drain the flues. That usually means two people and a mess. So long term raised flue is the way to go. Also maybe the single most time saving and safety piece of equipment you can buy is the float box. Mine has never failed to keep 2 inches of sap in the flue pan weather I am there or not.

Quote Originally Posted by ddociam View Post
    This really is some good advice. Raised flue will be much easier to clean. My drop flue has to be picked up and turned over to really drain the flues. That usually means two people and a mess..
    You can use a piece of tubing and siphon the flues out without Removing the pan. I have done it dozens of times.
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123