+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: To insulate or not

Default To insulate or not

This winter I am enclosing a 12' x 20' section of my lean to, this will house my evaporator, sink during the season and will be used for storage of filter press and other maple related equipment in the off season.

I will wrap the outside then place the steel up, I do plan on finishing the inside with steel for easy clean up.

My question is how many of you guys have insulated your sugar houses, I would think it could become too warm towards the end of the season.

Thanks
    2022 - 157 taps, 40 gallons of syrup
    2021 - 171 taps buckets and tubing, 41 gallons of syrup
    2020 - 225 taps bags and tubing, 45 gallons of syrup
    2019 - 180 taps buckets and bags, 50 gallons of syrup
    Lapierre 2x8 Vision with reverse flow, hood & preheater
    Leader Micro2 RO
    Lapierre 10" short bank press

I love having an insulated sugar shack, the concentrate setting for a day or more does not have to same affection for a warm work area. It is definitely more comfortable but makes concentrate turn roppy fast unless you are going to drain and cool it.
    Matt,
    Minehart Gap Maple

In the same boat at the moment, what would anyone think regarding what to use for insulation? Normal fiberglass, rockwool, foam board, bubble roll, or spray foam?

I'm leaning towards spray foam, thinking it would be the least at risk of gathering mold and absorbing moisture, plus creating a house for mice and critters. Anyone have any experience or opinions?

There's a few things to consider.

First, if you have a sink with plumbing then it sounds like you wonder insulation, and heat.

Second, I would wait to insulate until next year then you'll have more time to think about it. Finish the enclosure for this year.

Third, type of insulation will depend on the framing. If you use rough cut 2x6 studs then insulation bats won't naturally fit, especially if you space then at 24".

Fourth, non insulated framing allows for lots of extra storage space.

Fifth, it is costly to insulate especially if you consider insulation cost, internal wall board, fasteners, vapor barrier, etc.
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

My shack is not insulated, but if it was I would do spray foam.
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

my shack is not insulated but if i did insulate it i'd use Roxul (rockwool). best insulation on the market, hands down! won't absorb moisture... it's made out of ground up rocks/lava and never looses its R value like other insulation as the temps get real cold! works with rough cut and regular lumber. I find no need to insulate my shack, but if i did i would leave the sap storage area not insulated! i agree with tap tap tap... wait a season and decide for next year!
    Awfully thankful for an understanding wife!

“The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.”
    - Vincent “Vince” Lombardi

Good luck to all!

I insulated the walls and ceilings with 2" Poly iso foil faced foam board, then covered that with rough sawn T&G boards. It really makes it a more enjoyable experience when boiling on those cold nights and early mornings. I still haven't got around to doing the floor yet but that may happen this season. I plan to install a utility sink and a sprayer with on demand tankless hot water. Insulating will help keep that and the RO from freezing, and anything else liquid. It does make it a little hot in there during the late season boils, but i have double doors on both ends of my sugar house that really helps move the air.
    6th season solo sugar maker in a young sugar bush of mostly red maples
    320 taps
    2x6 self built arch, Flat pans w/ dividers
    New 12x16 sugar house
    CDL hobby 250 RO

ours is insulated and i prefer it that way. Spent many years in an uninsulated shack and its hard to keep guests warm. In the uninsulated shack we had a second stove running to try and keep warm. We boil are far many colder days than the few warm ones at the end of the year plus we have doors and windows to open if it gets too hot. One thing that happend by chance is our screen door opens from the top down. This is great to let the hot air out of the room. We have a suspended hood, not a cupola.
    THOR 20x68" + for 2022 Homebuilt 4-40 single post RO
    2022 180 buckets and 300 on 3/16 gravity 500L Syrup
    2021 305 Buckets and 95 on 3/16 gravity 423L Syrup
    2020 350 Buckets 375L Syrup
    2019 250 Buckets 270L Syrup

i use a new south facing lean to and I rarely boil unless it's above zero. I can sit outside in the sun when boiling
    or in the shade, and it's never cold when my arch is operating. I've never boiled inside a building.I don't think I
    would ever close it in and insulate.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

A warm sugarhouse is probably the biggest advantage of a wood arch. High efficiency oil-fired arches can sure make for a cold sugarhouse at times.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast