+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Monongalia Count 2021

Default Monongalia Count 2021

I haven't tapped yet.
    Last couple of years I tapped extremely early since it was so warm. Partially tapped last year on January 6. Syrup in jars on the 10th.
    This year I am holding out till the last weekend in January. Then do all of them in a couple of days.
    A warm, sunny day like this sure gets me thinking about it.
    I just know some sap was moving today.

llew. Williams,
    Over in the Eastern Panhandle we hoping for a mid January start, we are always warmer than you because of are location on the eastern side of the mountains.
    Mark 220 Maple
    1100 taps on low vaccum, 900 on gravity.
    900 plus taps leased and on high vacuum
    35 cfm Indiana Liquid Ring Vacuum Pump
    80% Sugar, 20% Red MAPLES
    http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/g...Maple%20Syrup/

Default Tapped in Monongalia County Today 2021-01-02

Well, I know what I said. I was going to wait till the end of the month, like old times.
    But I was going to test releaser with water today. I thought, "hmm, it is above 40, maybe I could test with sap". I put in 19 taps. It is flowing like crazy. Every hole that I drilled was gushing. I'm starting at dawn tomorrow. I want to put in a good 8 hours, see if I can get half of my trees tapped. Woo Hooo. Syrup season has started. I just put in RO membranes and rinsed them. I can't wait to fire the evaporator.
    Last edited by maple flats; 01-04-2021 at 10:48 AM.

Check and correct your date please. Today is 1/3/21! I could do it for you, but I know you can fix it. Just click on edit post, make the correction, then click on Save.
    I know, most of use screw up the date as a year changes. It's an easy error.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I'm in Hardy county in the eastern panhandle, I'm waiting on stainless steel taps, both for buckets and lines...i really wish i had them. I am tempted to use up the hundred or so plastic spiles this week....just because the weather is soooooooo fantastic....the season is so short here i don't want to miss it.
    2023 - 38 Gallons - RO broke, Buckets didn't run, rebuilt vacuum pump mid-season, still made good syrup!
    2022 - 52 Gallons - DIY RO, 50% less fuel, no late nights in the shack!
    2021 - 48 Gallons - new pans, new arch, lots of new taps and tubing
    2020 - 32 Gallons
    2019 - 27 Gallons

If they are the same size spiles, you can tap in the plastic spikes now and then switch out when the ss taps arrive.
    2004 - 2012 2x3 flat pan 25 to 60 taps
    2012 2x3 new divided pan w/draw off 55 taps
    2018 - didn't boil surgery - bought new evaporator
    2019 new SML 2x4 raised flue high output evap. 65 taps
    made 17 gal. syrup
    2020 - only put out 53 taps - made 16.25 ga.l syrup
    2021 - Didn't work out
    2022 - 25 taps on bags / 8 taps on 3/16's line - late start

Dark Machine,
    Did you get permission to tap on the GW National Forest? I guess it been a year since I talked to you at the event in Pendleton County at the Swilled Dog hard cider factory.
    Don't hesitate to use the Private Message system on this forum, if you have any questions or thoughts that may only apply to us. I try to check out Maple trader daily.

Mark 220 Maple
    1100 taps on low vaccum, 900 on gravity.
    900 plus taps leased and on high vacuum
    35 cfm Indiana Liquid Ring Vacuum Pump
    80% Sugar, 20% Red MAPLES
    http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/g...Maple%20Syrup/

Oops, wrong year. I can't correct it. I don't see any way to change title. I can edit body of the message but not title. Can't seem to delete either. : (

OK, I corrected the date. Not because those following now wouldn't know, but as the years pass, it might confuse some. Sorry, I wasn't aware you couldn't edit the title on your own post. All is fixed now.
    Have a great season, and most importantly, have fun!
    Dave
    Last edited by maple flats; 01-04-2021 at 10:53 AM.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

New stainless spiles arrived yesterday!!, i didn't even get a shipment notice, pretty quick turnaround. I went ahead and hung to buckets near my sugar house just to see if I could get any action...and holes were dry. It gives me a little breathing room though to get all my tubing work done/reaird and build a box for my vacuum pump so i can keep it warm.
    2023 - 38 Gallons - RO broke, Buckets didn't run, rebuilt vacuum pump mid-season, still made good syrup!
    2022 - 52 Gallons - DIY RO, 50% less fuel, no late nights in the shack!
    2021 - 48 Gallons - new pans, new arch, lots of new taps and tubing
    2020 - 32 Gallons
    2019 - 27 Gallons

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast