+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Tractor or UTV?

I have a Kubota RTV 900 and I reversed the n
    back wheels so tire chains would clear the springs and it works great

Returning to this thread months later to share I finally settled on buying a UTV, at least as my first vehicular upgrade for the new sugar bush. I agonized over the choice of make and the current inventory shortages did not help me but I landed on buying a Honda Pioneer with the convertible dump-bed / rear seats. The main factors for me ended up being that I have some sharp "break-over" angles (as we used to say in 4-wheeling days) on our trails and the Honda has the shortest wheel base while also offering room for kids in the back. It is also an automotive transmission instead of a CVT, which has numerous advantages it would seem but the main ones I'm interested in are superior engine braking and less wear on the system when operating at lower speed / gear.

The Honda also had a cost for entry that I could budget for at this phase of life (2 kids, partially employed spouse).

Sounds like I should take receipt of the vehicle in a couple of weeks, after they've mounted up a winch, plow, roof and a few other accessories. I'll post some pics when that time comes...I appreciate all the input I got from folks. I think there may be an older, utility snowmobile in my future and eventually a tractor, I that order.
    --
    2015: 8 bucket taps (7 red, 1 sugar) on DIY barrel evaporator
    2016: 13 taps (bucket and tube) on block arch and hotel pans
    2017: SAME
    2018: 25 taps on 2x3 flat pan and resurrected barrel arch
    2019: 25 taps...same setup plus DIY 3x150gpd RO filter
    2020: 50 taps, all buckets..."new" oil tank arch setup
    2021: 100 taps (50/50 buckets/3-16 tubing) on 2x4 divided pan
    2022: 150 taps (50/100 b/t) on 2x4 pan with sap warmer pan
    2023: SAME
    2024: 150 taps, added single-post 4x40 RO system

We use a Honda Pioneer, absolutely love it. But my favorite still is the ‘85 Big Red I can sneak through a lot of places with that. Then when there’s too much snow I bought a cheap $400 snowmobile. Which works great just had to put a good track on it.

I have a kioti tractor 40hp, The machine is awesome no complaints, but I am limited to the time in my bush if I don't want to rut it up badly. I've noticed once you rut up a trail or section of the bush the water just lies in it during the wet seasons. I think it weighs around 4400lbs. But having a bucket on the front and skidding logs out of the bush to my cut area when its dry or froze up is pretty handy. 2wd tractor I would be inclined to get some chains.

Quote Originally Posted by ADK_XJ View Post
    Returning to this thread months later to share I finally settled on buying a UTV, at least as my first vehicular upgrade for the new sugar bush. I agonized over the choice of make and the current inventory shortages did not help me but I landed on buying a Honda Pioneer with the convertible dump-bed / rear seats. The main factors for me ended up being that I have some sharp "break-over" angles (as we used to say in 4-wheeling days) on our trails and the Honda has the shortest wheel base while also offering room for kids in the back. It is also an automotive transmission instead of a CVT, which has numerous advantages it would seem but the main ones I'm interested in are superior engine braking and less wear on the system when operating at lower speed / gear.

The Honda also had a cost for entry that I could budget for at this phase of life (2 kids, partially employed spouse).

Sounds like I should take receipt of the vehicle in a couple of weeks, after they've mounted up a winch, plow, roof and a few other accessories. I'll post some pics when that time comes...I appreciate all the input I got from folks. I think there may be an older, utility snowmobile in my future and eventually a tractor, I that order.
    As our maple season starts again here, I realized I never shared pictures of my Honda chariot...here she is doing various chores around the house in prep for maple season, namely firewood and testing the farm cart that will haul my new 200 gallon SS tank:
    --

Enjoy your new purchase! The pics didn't show up in your last post and I am not able to upload photos into any of my posts, not sure what the issue is.

I have Kioti CK2610 on order and hopefully taking delivery at the end of March or early April. Front end loader, 60" rotary cutter (brush hog) and will be getting a grapple as well. Didn't really get for sugaring purposes but will definitely be used for the wood part of the syrup process. I have a Kubota BX2200 as well that we use to tow the collection tank and also for snow blowing the road around the property for collecting.

Looking forward to the Kioti and being able to hold logs up with the grapple when cutting them to length!

Quote Originally Posted by MRFNY View Post
    Enjoy your new purchase! The pics didn't show up in your last post and I am not able to upload photos into any of my posts, not sure what the issue is.

I have Kioti CK2610 on order and hopefully taking delivery at the end of March or early April. Front end loader, 60" rotary cutter (brush hog) and will be getting a grapple as well. Didn't really get for sugaring purposes but will definitely be used for the wood part of the syrup process. I have a Kubota BX2200 as well that we use to tow the collection tank and also for snow blowing the road around the property for collecting.

Looking forward to the Kioti and being able to hold logs up with the grapple when cutting them to length!
    I noticed that and couldn't seem to fix the issue re: photos...I'll try to do it once more here but we'll see.

Would like to hear about your Kioti once you receive it, as I detailed below (above?) I have been in a debate for several years of what piece of machinery to buy first and Kioti was high on the list of options if i went tractor. Everyone I've spoken to raved about the way that CK line packs the weight and performance of a larger tractor into a compact frame.

It's possible there will be a tractor in our future someday and, if I were buying one new, I'd look closely at a Kioti for sure.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by ADK_XJ View Post
    I noticed that and couldn't seem to fix the issue re: photos...I'll try to do it once more here but we'll see.

Would like to hear about your Kioti once you receive it, as I detailed below (above?) I have been in a debate for several years of what piece of machinery to buy first and Kioti was high on the list of options if i went tractor. Everyone I've spoken to raved about the way that CK line packs the weight and performance of a larger tractor into a compact frame.

It's possible there will be a tractor in our future someday and, if I were buying one new, I'd look closely at a Kioti for sure.
    Seems to be a known issue with posting pictures that they are working to correct.

I'll definitely let you know about the Kioti when I get it, I'm anxious and excited to get it! I heard the same things you did about the CK line, seems like you get a lot more bang for your buck over the other orange colored tractors.

I looked at Kiot before I bought my Massey Ferguson and I talked to an owner and they seem to be a good solid tractor. I couldn't get one for at least a couple months and I was wanting to trade my old Ford in and their offer was offensive. The Massey dealer had tractors on the lot and tripled the trade allowance. Like I have said before, I have owned the Massey for 3 years and I am very happy with it.
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567