+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Tractor or UTV?

Quote Originally Posted by johnallin View Post
    A pic of the Tundra pulling its weight...
    Attachment 21705
    wow, that thing looks like a hoss!
    --
    2015: 8 bucket taps (7 red, 1 sugar) on DIY barrel evaporator
    2016: 13 taps (bucket and tube) on block arch and hotel pans
    2017: SAME
    2018: 25 taps on 2x3 flat pan and resurrected barrel arch
    2019: 25 taps...same setup plus DIY 3x150gpd RO filter
    2020: 50 taps, all buckets..."new" oil tank arch setup
    2021: 100 taps (50/50 buckets/3-16 tubing) on 2x4 divided pan
    2022: 150 taps (50/100 b/t) on 2x4 pan with sap warmer pan
    2023: SAME
    2024: 150 taps, added single-post 4x40 RO system

A two wheel drive tractor with a front end loader will struggle in any soft ground or snow with a load in the bucket, I have a 39hp Deere fwa with loader and backhoe it does a great job for what it is meant for, it is limited on my trails due to width and slope. I sure would not want to get stuck so far off away from help. I only have the backhoe on as needed. For almost all my maple work I use a Polaris 1000cc utv,I pull a trailer with a 65gal tank and around 75 gal in the utv bed, it handles this fine. I am a farmer so having multiple tractors is just a part of my operation.

My 2 cents:

John Deere Gator 825i: The most used of the "fleet". Of course we've got a long driveway to check the mail or load trash to the dumpster.

400 CC CanAm: It will go a lot more places, faster, and can duck under most lateral lines. It's much better for checking lines provided the snow isn't too deep.

Kubota L4240 Tractor: Needed for heavier work with a logging winch, forks, bucket, flail mower, and snow plow. Extra hydraulic circuits front and rear for attachments. Bought used, but that's another story.

Could I get by with just one -NOPE.
    Could I get by with one less - Maybe the ATV. But it's by far the cheapest of the fleet.
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

I have an older (1981 Ford 1500) 4x4 tractor, a diesel. it has glow plugs and starts well down to about -10F. When it's below 30F I run the glow plugs for about 10 seconds, off for 5 and the on for 8-10 seconds and it starts well. My newer tractor is a 37 hp Mahindra diesel, 2012 with a cab. I don't ever run the glow plugs more than once until the temperature is below 10F. That tractor heats much faster, when I turn the key a lite comes on to wait, in very short time (maybe 2-3 seconds) that light goes out and I turn the key farther and it fires right up. Modern diesels are not a starting issue, just like the pick up trucks.
    If you do get a diesel, 30 yr old or less, as long as the battery is good, it will start well. You need to learn what the tractor needs for glow plug use. On my 20HP diesel (1981) I need to use the glow plugs for about 4-5 seconds even in the summer, once it has run that day, it starts without glow plug use. Just either use a 50/50 diesel/kerosene blend or use an anti gel additive. I use Power Service year round, never any gelling and it helps the diesel run in all temperatures.
    I get my fuel delivered, both off road for the tractors and my excavator (no road tax) and for my F350 4x4 (has road tax added). In both tanks I buy about 250 gal at a time and I dump in a Power Service anti Gel meant for 250 gal before the delivery truck pumps the fuel in so it gets blended well. I have one other fuel tank that is only used in the summer, that never got any additive. Buying fuel in a large tank, costs less. My last batch of off road was 60 cents less than at the pump, my last on road diesel was still 35 cents less than the pump price. The big thing is that 250 gal X $ ? adds up all at once but then I go 3-4 months before I need more for my truck and about 18 mos for the tractors/excavator. It does not go bad as long as you don't get moisture in it. Even then, additives can fix it, or if lots of water, you can pump from the bottom of the tank, or as I have set up, just remove a drain plug, then open a valve. I've never yet had to do it, but it's an option if needed.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I’ve used a JD Gator 6x4 for years. It has a lower profile and scoots under most mainlines and laterals. Ruts are non existent unlike my larger tractors.
    12X16 Sugarhouse and 16x24 attached woodshed
    1000 taps
    120 3/16 tubing
    And still some buckets
    Becker U5.70 Rotary vane
    Leader 2X8 Reverse oil fired, Revolution Pans & Steam a way
    Lapierre Turbo 2000 600 GPH RO
    Leader Clear frame filter press
    John Deere Gator 6X4
    Indy 500 and a very large sled.
    Kubota M8200

Quote Originally Posted by christopherh View Post
    I’ve used a JD Gator 6x4 for years. It has a lower profile and scoots under most mainlines and laterals. Ruts are non existent unlike my larger tractors.
    I would assume open top without ROPS. My father had the 4x4 version. It is definitely handy and tracked pretty well. Our kids learned to drive starting with that vehicle. When my son was about 12, he had an "accident" where he hit his grandmother's car as he was coming to a stop. It caused several hundred dollars in body work. It turned out to be one of the best life lessons he ever had and he hasn't had an accident since.
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

I think the answer as to what is right for you largely depends on where you are and what kind of area you need to cover. When we were working in the 5400 tap bush, we would always use the snowmobile whenever we could. We are talking 70 acres of land so getting to and from with a tractor would take all day. Never mind the snow and uneven, mountainous terrain. The tractor was good for snowblowing to the pump tank and working around the sugarhouse. Completely useless for us in the woods, largely due to the terrain and distances we need to reach. The Kubota 900 RTV was great to haul supplies and equipment in the fall. But it is a big heavy machine so going under lines in some areas were an issue with the cab. We had tracks on it but when we got much more than a foot of fresh snow, the Kubota was useless due to its weight and torquey, but low RPM diesel motor. In low or no snow years like this one so far, it was great. But by the end of a normal winter there is usually 4-6' of snow in the woods. The snowmobile (Skidoo Tundra like johnallins) was by far the most versatile.
    As you can see, we were spoiled and had everything at our disposal. If I was on a budget and wanted the best bang for my buck, I would go for a 4 wheeler or side x side if you can afford it and a snowmobile if you're in area that has snow. The Kubota alone would do fine if you're in an area where the snow comes and goes all winter.
    305 taps on 2 Shurflo's, 31 taps on 3/16" and 229 taps on gravity. 565 in all
    Mountain Maple S3 controller for 145 of the vacuum taps
    2x6 Darveau Mystique Oil Fired Evaporator w/ Smoky Lake Simplicity Auto Draw
    Wesfab 7” filter press

For sure nothing is as nimble, or as fast as the Tundra when there's snow in the woods, and the 4 stroke engine has grunt to spare when it's time to haul something out.
    Had an older 2 stroke for a year before I got this one - there is no comparison.
    Don;t know about the new ones; but my '06 gator is about 60" tall, with the cab roof, and most laterals can be pushed up and over the top when needed.
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

Our 10 year old Kubota 1100 UTV is the best starting and running diesel I have owned. Even at -10 degrees, it starts right up after only using the glow plugs for 3 to 5 seconds. I wish our JD 4320 started as smoothly. I ended up putting a block heater on JD so it would be easier to start when the temps get below 10 degrees. As for the cost of the tracks, you can get decent tracks for $4,000. Ours cost us $3200, but that was 8 years ago. We just purchased new tracks for our Can Am 570 ATV last winter and they were just under $4,000. Due to the amount of snow we have during the start of syrup season, we found it was really nice to have two tracked vehicles for working in the woods. Another really nice feature of buying 4 season tracks, we run them in the spring when it starts getting muddy and we stay completely on top of the ground, even with a full load of sap in the tank. Hate to tell you this, but nothing involved in making syrup is inexpensive!!!
    Gary
    16' X 24' Sugarhouse
    2' X 6' Leader Inferno Arch with Revolution Raised-Flue Pans, Smoky Lake preheater and hood
    Deer Run Maple gas-powered 250 RO
    WesFab 7" filter press
    Kubota 1100 RTV with tracks and 125 gallon tank for transporting sap
    800 taps on gravity and vacuum
    Very supportive wife who is the best coworker
    http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...ing-Sugarhouse

I have both a a Kioti mechron and a new Holland 1920. I use the Kioti mechron 5 times as much than the tractor. I had a Kubota rtv I like it but the ground clearance wasn’t good and got stuck often. I didn’t like Polaris, can am or Honda because the beds are smaller and plastic. The Kioti has very good ground clearance a big metal bed, a Diesel engine 4x4 with locking rear end. The payload is 1600lbs. I have 210 gallon tank and I go through some very muddy spots with no problem. If you put tracks on it, it probably be unstoppable. I have pulled big logs out of the woods with ease. It is belt driven so it does not lack power like the Kubota. Now the dislike it’s slow like 20mph. And I keep destroying my cv boots. But that’s probably my fault it’s always packed full of mud snow and ice. I never get to thaw it out. It was also the cheapest out of them all. With full skid plates, winch , canopy, and windshield it was a few thousand cheaper than base models for the competitors. And I got a heated seat element from eBay to keep the wife happy.
    2019:250 gallons
    2020:324 gallons
    2021:?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast