+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Tractor or UTV?

I have a Kubota RTV 900 and I reversed the n
    back wheels so tire chains would clear the springs and it works great

Returning to this thread months later to share I finally settled on buying a UTV, at least as my first vehicular upgrade for the new sugar bush. I agonized over the choice of make and the current inventory shortages did not help me but I landed on buying a Honda Pioneer with the convertible dump-bed / rear seats. The main factors for me ended up being that I have some sharp "break-over" angles (as we used to say in 4-wheeling days) on our trails and the Honda has the shortest wheel base while also offering room for kids in the back. It is also an automotive transmission instead of a CVT, which has numerous advantages it would seem but the main ones I'm interested in are superior engine braking and less wear on the system when operating at lower speed / gear.

The Honda also had a cost for entry that I could budget for at this phase of life (2 kids, partially employed spouse).

Sounds like I should take receipt of the vehicle in a couple of weeks, after they've mounted up a winch, plow, roof and a few other accessories. I'll post some pics when that time comes...I appreciate all the input I got from folks. I think there may be an older, utility snowmobile in my future and eventually a tractor, I that order.
    --
    2015: 8 bucket taps (7 red, 1 sugar) on DIY barrel evaporator
    2016: 13 taps (bucket and tube) on bock arch and hotel pans
    2017: 25 taps...same setup
    2018: 25 taps on 2x3 flat pan and resurrected barrel arch
    2019: 25 taps...same setup plus DIY 3x150gpd RO filter
    2020: 50 taps, all buckets...same setup with 50
    2021: Planning for 100 taps (50/50) on 2x4 divided pan

We use a Honda Pioneer, absolutely love it. But my favorite still is the ‘85 Big Red I can sneak through a lot of places with that. Then when there’s too much snow I bought a cheap $400 snowmobile. Which works great just had to put a good track on it.

I have a kioti tractor 40hp, The machine is awesome no complaints, but I am limited to the time in my bush if I don't want to rut it up badly. I've noticed once you rut up a trail or section of the bush the water just lies in it during the wet seasons. I think it weighs around 4400lbs. But having a bucket on the front and skidding logs out of the bush to my cut area when its dry or froze up is pretty handy. 2wd tractor I would be inclined to get some chains.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567