+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hey Missouri- give us your update on sap flow

For this weekend 72 gallons sap collected. Finished with 156 oz after filtering (1.2 gallons). 60:1 this week. Not sure how all the rain and snow this week affected the sugar content. Last week was exactly 40:1
    Lots of trees, bees, rocks, firewood, and syrup.

Anyone else out there having any luck?

Sap was down this week. Weather was good, had some rain. 43 gal collected. 96 oz syrup after filtering. 20210123_220057.jpg

220 gallons collected last week. Just finished 2 new lines this weekend bringing our system up to 152 taps on 3/16 tubing to one tank. We are ready for it but it looks like the weather is going to hold us up till late next week.
    Matthew
    Highly modified Leader Half Pint with Smoky Lake 2 x 4 Raised Flue
    14' Grain Bin Sugar House
    152 taps on 3/16 tubing
    MES Dolly 100 RO
    Homemade filter/canning tank with an electric water jacket
    Kubota RTV 1100
    http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/j...Maple%20Syrup/

Despite some good temperature swings, sap flow has been pretty dismal. Slow, weeping runs, hardly getting enough permeate to rinse the membranes. I really need a vacuum system, but until I have time to maintain it for leaks, that is on the backburner. Well, for that and other reasons, but we're not supposed to get political here. We finished up bottling gallon number 30 or so this evening. First 15 gallons bottled was very light, but it went dark in a hurry. Have another 10 on the evaporator. Hopefully February brings some better sap runs.
    Now I have an outdoor hobby for all 12 months. Like I need anything more to do
    About 1000 taps on gravity tubing, MicRO2 RO, 2.5 X 8 Leader King, and a 1953 Willys Jeep to run around the maple woods with.
    http://www.gihringfamilyfarm.com/

Collected 65 gallons today. Hope to finish it later in the week. Seems that most trees did not produce very much. A few have not done hardly any the last 2 weeks. Some great. Overall, I'm happy I put out some additional taps this year! Very wet day, very muddy trails. Hope everyone is doing well.

Had pretty good sap flow last Saturday before this cold spell hit. Sap has been running around one and a half percent. Up to about 85 gallons so far. Nice to have a break to catch up on sleep. Looking forward to a sap tsunami coming out of this cold spell.
    About 1000 taps on gravity tubing, MicRO2 RO, 2.5 X 8 Leader King, and a 1953 Willys Jeep to run around the maple woods with.

Before the 2 week freeze, I collected 127 gallons. Huge increase, I guess the stars aligned. I let it freeze, couldn't boil it. This weekend after the freeze I got another 48 gallons out of the woods and boiled everything. Took 3 days of boiling. Ended up with 3.1 gallons of finished syrup. My bees were out too.

I collected enough sap on 02/28 to make about a gallon of syrup. I have pulled all my taps and stared to clean up all the stuff. I will need to do so some repairs to my evaporator. There were not many people posting this year. I hope everyone is healthy. Hope to see you here next season.

We are calling it quits also, time to start the clean up. I will post our finial production when we finish bottling this weekend.
    Matthew
    Highly modified Leader Half Pint with Smoky Lake 2 x 4 Raised Flue
    14' Grain Bin Sugar House
    152 taps on 3/16 tubing
    MES Dolly 100 RO
    Homemade filter/canning tank with an electric water jacket
    Kubota RTV 1100
    http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/j...Maple%20Syrup/

Still at it today. Got about 1/2 gallon per tap both Saturday and Sunday. Will have about 100 gal of concentrate to run through the evaporator tomorrow. Should finish the season with just at 1 quart per tap.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast