+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Surge Alamo pump and Releaser

Quote Originally Posted by darkmachine View Post
    well....I had a bit of a tragedy. The oilers on my vacuum pump got plugged up, and the pump ran dry, which burned/chewed up 3 of the 4 vanes in the pump. I knew i should have installed an aftermarket oiler, and filter. Now i'm stuck until Monday morning just getting what runs out by gravity. any way to prevent this type of thing from happening(I know i could buy a modern vacuum pump). Anyone have any experience with this type of failure?
    I have a similar surge pump, Alamo 30, and it will comfortably 22-23” all day long with the proper Oilers. I installed 3, one at each bearing and one on vacuum inlet. I used de lavel adjustable Oilers, supplying a drop every 5-6 seconds. This will be my 6th season with minimal issues
    Maple Rock Farm
    www.Maplerockfarm.ca
    400 taps on Vacuum
    18”x60” Lapierre propane evaporator with Smokey Lake auto draw off
    Homemade 3 post RO with MES membranes
    Ford TS110 tractor sap hauler

So i need to add a line to the vacuum inlet. I saw too that some drill out the oilers with a 3/32 drill bit, is that necessary? It drips really fast. as far as an oil cooler i'll have to look into that. before the oiler got plugged up it did smoke a little when it got up and running.
    2023 - 38 Gallons - RO broke, Buckets didn't run, rebuilt vacuum pump mid-season, still made good syrup!
    2022 - 52 Gallons - DIY RO, 50% less fuel, no late nights in the shack!
    2021 - 48 Gallons - new pans, new arch, lots of new taps and tubing
    2020 - 32 Gallons
    2019 - 27 Gallons

They will smoke alittle. The idea is to have the smoke to be moisture instead of oil burning. Year ago farmers use to suck a buckett of hot soapy water to clean the in side of the pump and vaines once a month but those didn't have oil reclaimers on them. They would put oil in them before every milking and there would be a big oil slick at the end of the exhaust out side the milk house. If you get it right you should be able to turn it up to 26-27 inches. As far as a cooler goes what about an after market automatic transmission cooler? Mount it in front of the electric motor fan to cool the oil.
    Blaisdell's Maple Farm
    started on a 2x2 pan in 2000 and now
    custom built oil fired 4x12 arch by me
    Thor pans Desinged by Thad Blaisdell
    4600 taps

Make sure your oil reclaimer is clean inside. Over time, the oil recliners will get sludge and caking build up in them that will plug up the oilers and lines. Flush it out real good before getting it back up running. Installing an oiler into the suction side is a must on any dairy pump brand that doesn’t have one in order to maintain vacuum over the 13.5” that is used milking cows. So you should have an oiler for each bearing and the suction line. When I set them up, I set the oilers to drip 1 drip every 2-3 seconds to keep the pump cool and lubricated. I used drippers like these. Hamby Dairy Supply has vacuum pump parts if you need anything.
    https://hambydairysupply.com/triple-...m-7-5-or-m-15/
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

I took the stone filters out of my reclaimers and plumbed in a oil filter for an oil burner.put in a shut off valve between the reclaimer and filter housing or oil will flow into the pump when off. Just open it when running. I keep a small stream of oil coming in.

Thoes are great things to do, I wish I could rember all the good info on this site.
    Blaisdell's Maple Farm
    4600 taps

I'm back up and running, new vanes, oil re-claimer cleaned out, cleaned everything inside, checked all bearings. I put in an order at the local dairy supply for adjustable oilers, and filter kit, that should be here tomorrow, or Wednesday. I saw a thread on here where someone drilled out the factory oil drippers with a 3/32 drill bit and i did that, wow what a difference! When i started it up it pulled 23 without batting an eye, but until i get the third oiler installed i'll try to keep it under 20". I removed some weight from the vacuum controller, pulling around 18". Can anyone recommend an oil cooler? i've been considering a transmission cooler as Brian suggested, but it may be an add for next season, i probably will only have another two weeks before the sap gets buddy.

I appreciate all the help!! That surge setup will hopefully serve me well until i can afford an upgrade and then i'll pass it along to someone else.
    2023 - 38 Gallons - RO broke, Buckets didn't run, rebuilt vacuum pump mid-season, still made good syrup!
    2020 - 32 Gallons
    2019 - 27 Gallons

Blaisdell's Maple Farm
    4600 taps

The quickest cooling for now would be to put a box fan next to it blowing on the pump setup. It will help quite a bit until you can get an oil cooler put on.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

After about 24 hours, the "stone" filter is once again clogged, and minimal oil getting to the vanes. At least i caught it in time. I ordered a spin on filter kit, hope this fixes the issue. The pump was spotless when i reassembled it...i just can't imagine that regular operation would foul the filter that fast and cause it to stop oiling....new filter should be here tomorrow.
    2020 - 32 Gallons
    2019 - 27 Gallons

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast