+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Surge Alamo pump and Releaser

Default Surge Alamo pump and Releaser

Is there any way to identify this pump. I understand that the model was printed on the belt cover(which i am missing). I am going to try to use this pump this season, i was assured it worked but i would like to go over it before i put it into service and i'd like to know what model it is if i need to order parts. Thanks in advance I also have a releaser that came with it that It that would be nice to find someone to go over it and make sure it's in working order. This will be my first year using vacuum. I'm sure it's overkill, but so far it hasn't cost me anything, I have to hang the tubing regardless.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2023 - 38 Gallons - RO broke, Buckets didn't run, rebuilt vacuum pump mid-season, still made good syrup!
    2022 - 52 Gallons - DIY RO, 50% less fuel, no late nights in the shack!
    2021 - 48 Gallons - new pans, new arch, lots of new taps and tubing
    2020 - 32 Gallons
    2019 - 27 Gallons

The best way to determine which Alamo it is will be from the measurements. Measure the width of the main body, not including the end plates. From that we'll give you the answer. Most Alamo pumps will be rated not in CFM but in how many cow barn they were designed for. The choices I'm aware of are a 30, and a 50-75-100. On the 50-75-100 the difference is on the motor and the RPMs. For some reason they had no such marking on the pump. The pictures you show don't quite give the size well enough.
    If it is an Alamo 30, you will get enough vacuum to run about 500-700 taps at 24-25" vacuum if you keep leaks to a minimum. One thing you will want is to open up the oil flow from the reclaimer. The original way to control that was to open the fitting where it re-enters the bearings on each end, and snap off a little of the hardened wire inside. That will increase the flow. However, far better is to buy some after market oilers and then you can get ones with a needle valve adjustment. Because the pumps were designed to run a 15" vacuum, to run much higher you need more oil flow. I like to adjust them to get 1 drip every 4-5 seconds if running above 17-18" vacuum.
    Another thing you should do now, is remove the pulley end plate and pull the whole armature out to see if the vanes are badly warn or stuck in place. They need to be free for centrifugal force to hold them out against the outer surface. Also check the outer surface while it is open, if there is much scoring, have it machined to make it smooth. New vanes if needed are available from Wormuth Dairy & Refrigeration, in Morrisville, NY. Also some online supplies such as Hamby Dairy, (Fla?) likely others. Wormuth is among other things a Surge dealer.
    Last edited by maple flats; 12-27-2020 at 10:45 AM.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

From your message i think we have the 50-75-100 pump body, 7/14" wide from outside of fin to outside of fin, the motor RPM's are 1725. Removed the pully and plate, the pump wall is smooth, and the vanes all seem to slide freely and the edges are not chipped. I do need to address the oilers, when i disassembled the pump i found the small wires, but they seem to be tubes with very fine holes. An oiler kit with the adjusters like you mention runs about $120. I'd like to get one with an external oil filter, i need to keep shopping.
    2023 - 38 Gallons - RO broke, Buckets didn't run, rebuilt vacuum pump mid-season, still made good syrup!
    2020 - 32 Gallons
    2019 - 27 Gallons

I bought mine 6-8 years ago and inflation certainly has been showing it's ugly head, but when I bought mine I believe I paid $30 something for each and I bought 3. Look around, you may do better. Unfortunately I don't recall who I bought them from. I will be at the sugarhouse in a day or 2. I have one spare, I think it is still in the shipping padded envelope hanging on the wall. I'll try to remember to check for a name.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I was able to get my pump up and running, seems like it's working GREAT, lots of thread tape, and tightening it up, I need some more weight on the vacuum regulator to get it to pull more than 17", but it seems to pull over 20" no problem.

Next i turned my attention to the releaser. I worked over all the joints and seals and my issue is where the vacuum line connects to the mechanism. It seems to me that the line is too stiff to allow it to operate effectively. Am i missing a joint or other part? can someone with a similar releaser post pictures of how they have theirs connected so i can get this thing going! Thanks in advance! Pics are in the beginning of the thread.
    2020 - 32 Gallons
    2019 - 27 Gallons

Everything seems to be in working order. I tied in about 75 taps today, hope to get the balance tomorrow, still pulling about 23 inches so my leaks are minimal....looking forward to a great season! I just stood there and watched it fill and dump...so excited i couldn't walk away.
    2020 - 32 Gallons
    2019 - 27 Gallons

well....I had a bit of a tragedy. The oilers on my vacuum pump got plugged up, and the pump ran dry, which burned/chewed up 3 of the 4 vanes in the pump. I knew i should have installed an aftermarket oiler, and filter. Now i'm stuck until Monday morning just getting what runs out by gravity. any way to prevent this type of thing from happening(I know i could buy a modern vacuum pump). Anyone have any experience with this type of failure?
    2020 - 32 Gallons
    2019 - 27 Gallons

That pump can't take more than 18 inches of vacuum! Unless they have the flood system. You will keep burning it up at that rate, They are designed for milking cows not trees. At that rate the oil turns to smoke so there is no lubercation for the vaines.
    Blaisdell's Maple Farm
    started on a 2x2 pan in 2000 and now
    custom built oil fired 4x12 arch by me
    Thor pans Desinged by Thad Blaisdell
    4600 taps

I did modify the oilers to supply more oil, but the filter inside the reclaimer got plugged up? or maybe it was too cold when i started it up and it got hot, and after that....well there you go. I only had it pulling around 20, i heard that was in the ballpark, i'll have to see what it will take to setup a flood system, i'm assuming that just lets the oil pour down instead of dropping it in?
    2020 - 32 Gallons
    2019 - 27 Gallons

Yes the oil goes in the suction side of the pump and goes back to the reclaimer to keep the vaines from burning up. put in a valve in the line to control the oil flow and watch your vac gauge to get the most out of it. The oil should slso run through some sort of oil cooler also so the oil get a chance to cool a bit. Keep the oil going to the bearings also through the oilers.
    Blaisdell's Maple Farm
    started on a 2x2 pan in 2000 and now
    custom built oil fired 4x12 arch by me
    Thor pans Desinged by Thad Blaisdell
    4600 taps

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast