+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hardware in trees

Default Hardware in trees

So we bought land that has sugarwoods that has been previously tapped. Probably been 5+ years. The lines have all been removed. What they did not remove is the screw in anchors they used for main lines, pump lines, power lines etc. these anchors are probably close to 1/2” diameter. Luckily they are not in any of the maples. Beech, spruce, etc. we will run lines at some point but won’t be using these anchors. Or at least not many of them. Question. Was thinking about removing them since we won’t use them. One so if we ever cut the trees they won’t have metal in them and probably not helping the health of the trees. Thoughts on how it may effect the trees by removing them? Many of the trees are growing around them well. Will it make the trees more likely to die?
    Any advice is appreciated.

It won't hurt the trees anymore than drilling a hole for a spile. It might be hard to get them out, but a saw mill will be real happy you did. Even if you have to cut them out I'd remove them, if the tree has good saw logs. I will never put a lag or screw in metal anchor in a potential saw log. I have never put up main lines or wire, but if i do I'll set some other kind of anchor, a post or wrap around a tree type fixture that can be removed. Is this a normal practice for running wire and lines? My only experience is with 3/16th.
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

Agreed. I wouldn't use any hardware that threads into the trees either. I have used a small pipe wrench and they come right out.

+ Reply to Thread