+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: preheater

Default preheater

has anybody come up with an effective preheater to feed the sap pan?

randolphvt Guest

Depending on how fast you need to feed the feed pan I'm going to use copper coil around my chimney about 10x's. Once that chimney gets hot it will be nearly boiling by the time it gets to the feed pan.
    I used to use a huge coffee urn to heat up my sap then feed it to the feed pan.

I have heard about people doing this before, using copper tubing. But I am leery of using anything that might leach unwanted stuff into the sap. I would think that when you heat the sap, as you are doing in a preheated like the copper coils, isn’t there something in the copper that might leach into the sap? I have considered this method of preheating, and I like the concept, but I think I need someone to tell me scientifically that it is okay to do this.
    2017 - 20ish taps on buckets, boiling outside in two baking pans
    2018 - 70+ taps, 14-buckets, 50+ on tubing, homemade arch from oil tank in my barn, 17 gal syrup
    2019 - same set up, 20 gal syrup
    2020 - less taps, short season, but RO kit was fantastic! 6 gal syrup and a maple cat!
    2021/22/23 - expanded into the neighbors yards! 50 taps on buckets and 40 taps on tubing

Copper is used extensively for cooking so wouldn't it be OK? If the coils ever run dry is there a problem
    with the extreme heat and will they coke up with calcium and minerals like a pan does?

Remember if the sap stops for long in the copper pipe, the sap in the pipe will burn and ruin your syrup.That happened to me about 20 pluse years ago.
    Blaisdell's Maple Farm
    started on a 2x2 pan in 2000 and now
    custom built oil fired 4x12 arch by me
    Thor pans Desinged by Thad Blaisdell
    4600 taps on a drop flue 8-4 split

tx...was just about to call a friend who tried this a few years ago. Couldn't remember why he didn't like it?
    I think it was shutting down that created the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by randolphvt View Post
    Depending on how fast you need to feed the feed pan I'm going to use copper coil around my chimney about 10x's. Once that chimney gets hot it will be nearly boiling by the time it gets to the feed pan.
    I used to use a huge coffee urn to heat up my sap then feed it to the feed pan.
    I never tried it but I was told the fear is getting a vapor lock in a coil and being unable to keep the sap flowing to the pan.
    CDL 2.5*8 Venturi with all the bells
    Leader Clear 5 bank filter press
    Memprotec 350H RO
    600ish taps and looking for more.

I used about 20' of 1/2" copper coil on my stack to pre-heat the sap. I additionally wrapped a piece of stainless steel around the outside to cover it and try to keep in a little more heat. I then had it running into a float box with a float valve. if the float valve shut off, the sap would boil in the tube, and like VTnewguy said, it would vapor lock and scorch the sap in the coil. When all was running wide open and the evaporator rocking, the sap didn't have time to warm up much. Also I had some spots in my coil that didn't drain completely and would freeze and swell the copper. I finally done away with it.
    Sorghum Producer
    60 Bee Hives
    200 Acres of Ky hills
    225 Taps on Gravity
    2018 - Lapierre 2X8 Storm
    1963 Military M37 Sap Hauler
    and if things get tough...M35A2
    youtube videos

According to upcoming new Vermont Sugar House Certification program, using copper is not allowed. There is supposedly some lead in copper piping.

Joe
    2004- 470 taps on gravity and buckets
    2006- 590 taps on gravity and buckets 300 gph RO
    2009- 845 taps on vacuum no buckets, 600 gph RO
    2010- 925 taps on vacuum new 2 stage vacuum pump
    2014- 3045 taps on vacuum, new 1200 gph RO
    2015- 3104 taps on vacuum
    2017- 3213 taps on vacuum
    3' x 10' oil fired evaporator with steamaway

It's not the lead in the copper it's the lead in the solder used in putting it together.
    First introduced to making maple syrup in 1969
    Making syrup every year since 1979
    3 x 10 oil fired
    Revolution syrup and max flue pan
    Almost 1300 taps total with 900 on high vacuum
    Bought first Marcland drawoff in 1997, still going strong.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast