+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What’s the best piece of advice you were given when you started?

Default What’s the best piece of advice you were given when you started?

So to help kick off this area of the forum, what piece of advice were you given when you started that turned out to be really valuable? I’ve learned so much from this forum and from experts around my area it’s hard to narrow it down, but a couple that stand out:

Base all your decisions on the assumption you will have more taps next year.

Buy a hydrometer

Keep a bucket of sap next to the evaporator just in case the pan goes too low. (This one saved me more than once)

A little Homemade syrup makes bourbon taste even better!

Keep it fun was the best advice I was given and that still is the best I can give others. You need to realize, brand new is not necessary, learn on an older unit. Just make sure is is not made with lead bearing solder.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Some advice given from my father many years ago was, you better have a lot of free time on your hands to cut wood and keep a hot fire burning, his best advice was to have a pan with as much square footage you can get over that hot fire.
    Man was he right, I'm still working on all these and enjoying every minute of it.
    Last edited by Someclown; 12-23-2020 at 10:39 PM.
    2019 - Barrel evaporator 2 steam pans 44 taps 13 Liters syrup
    2020 - Barrel evaporator 2 steam pans 51 taps 21 Liters syrup
    2021- New homemade 2x3 evaporator and flat pan 80 drop lines to buckets
    2022- (•,•)1350L naturally ROd sap 44L syrup
    2023- "\_(°•°)_/" 1100L sap 30L syrup not accurate due to natural RO
    2024 { ';' }1862L sap 52L syrup 52 drop lines to buckets

It is an addiction that will grow over time. It seems you will always want more taps, a better evaporator, etc... In the end enjoy the product that you produced, it tastes the best and you made it.
    2004 - 2012 2x3 flat pan 25 to 60 taps
    2012 2x3 new divided pan w/draw off 55 taps
    2018 - didn't boil surgery - bought new evaporator
    2019 new SML 2x4 raised flue high output evap. 65 taps
    made 17 gal. syrup
    2020 - only put out 53 taps - made 16.25 ga.l syrup
    2021 - Didn't work out
    2022 - 25 taps on bags / 8 taps on 3/16's line - late start

Take your time and don't save a dollar today just to spend double tomorrow.

Cheaper isn't always better.

Pumping is better than trucking.

Sap flows even if it doesn't look fancy.

Biggest one was to enjoy what you do no matter how big or small.
    Remember to keep on ticking while the sap is dripping.
    2016- 50 buckets. Made 4 gallons.
    2022- 3750 taps + Smartrek! Made 1300 gallons.
    2023- 3750 taps after removing a pump house and connected two woods. Made 800 gallons.

After one year of tapping more than I could boil on a propane burner a seasoned producer told me to decide right now if I was going to continue doing this. if the answer is yes, then do it right and spend some money now on a real evaporator and the right tools. He said three years from now you will have spent more money and suffered twice the aggravation and three times the effort. He then let me use his old evaporator which I bought after that season and realized his wisdom. The second thing I learned from another producer is, sap is not sacred. If it's bad there's no saving it, toss it on the ground. One batch of bad syrup will cost you more than you can ever recover in customers, never sell off-flavor syrup.

To this day my wife and I taste test every batch (cold) and if it doesn't pass our taste test ( we are very particular) if never sells.
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

Build your sugarhouse twice as big as you think you will need.(you'll end up using every square inch of it) and buy an evaporator 1/2 the size you think you need.(this will push you to buy the RO that you didn't think you would ever need).
    Still learning after all these years.

I've seen on this forum and others how people pick days or holidays when they are going to start tapping. I was wondering myself when to start.
    The best advice I got was from an old timer. I asked him when should I start tapping trees? He said ... When the sap starts to run.

thin pans will boil much more efficiently.It is hard to out boil those steam pans ...all things being equal.Some
    of them are 24 or 26 gauge.The better manufacturers seem to have settled on 22 gauge.I would try and
    go with 22 gauge if possible.
    Last edited by ir3333; 12-24-2020 at 08:02 PM.

Take your time and plan out your operation for where you want to be and not where you are.
    Over exhausting yourself takes the fun out of it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast