+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Merry Christmas to all Traders

Default Merry Christmas to all Traders

I just wanted to wish all Traders and there families a wonderful Christmas and a Happy New Year. Let us never forget that Jesus is the reason for the season.

After wrestling with the idea for a few years I have decided to step away from sugaring. We signed a 10 year lease with a friend who will be taking over my operation. We are not selling but just leasing our woods. It’s possible that in 10 years one of my kids might take an interest in sugaring. For now my wife and I have bought property in Hawaii and plan to build a winter home. I already planted some coffee trees so I’m on my way to being a coffee farmer . Life is like a book and this will be a new chapter for me and my family. May God bless each and every one of you with good health and prosperous sugaring seasons for many years to come.

Spud

Wow! That’s big news but good for you spud. Best of luck on your new endeavors. Thanks for sharing all that you did on here. Always looked forward to your frequent updates throughout the season. Take care and don’t be a stranger. We’ll start a coffee section if we need to!
    305 taps on 2 Shurflo's, 31 taps on 3/16" and 229 taps on gravity. 565 in all
    Mountain Maple S3 controller for 145 of the vacuum taps
    2x6 Darveau Mystique Oil Fired Evaporator w/ Smoky Lake Simplicity Auto Draw
    Wesfab 7” filter press

I've only been on the trader a short time but I looked forward to your knowledge when you posted something. I hope that your new adventure will be wonderful and bring you much happiness and joy. I dare say it will be warmer also.
    2004 - 2012 2x3 flat pan 25 to 60 taps
    2012 2x3 new divided pan w/draw off 55 taps
    2018 - didn't boil surgery - bought new evaporator
    2019 new SML 2x4 raised flue high output evap. 65 taps
    made 17 gal. syrup
    2020 - only put out 53 taps - made 16.25 ga.l syrup
    2021 - Didn't work out
    2022 - 25 taps on bags / 8 taps on 3/16's line - late start

Merry Christmas spud and everyone. Jesus is indeed the reason for the season.

I understand your decision, as sooner or later the fire just burns out. Hawaii,, wow what a hardship . There's no way I'm telling my wife your story. She is retiring December 31st and we have had the conversation about moving to a warmer climate. I thought it was a stretch to look into New Mexico, let alone Hawaii, good luck and much happiness.
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all. Hopefully 2021 will be a great sugar year and a much better year all around. Spuds, talk about a bombshell. Congratulations on your new venture, but remember, you can take the sugar maker out of the woods, but can’t take sugaring out of the sugar maker.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

Merry Christmas to all, happy new year, and may we all have a great sugar season.
    spud, going to miss the updates, but enjoy your new ventures!
    7000 taps on vacuum, just trying to get a little better every year.

Merry Christmas to all of my fellow Maple Traders, even those moving to warmer locations. Yes, Jesus IS the reason for the season. Just remember all, stay safe. Thru the holidays it is harder to not be with family and friends, but as Dr Fauci and other health experts say, staying safe this year will mean you will have a much better chance to be with family next year.
    We just had our first visit from our grandson, who is in the Navy, since last Christmas. We had a nice talk with him, us in the house at the door and he about 10' out in the driveway. We wanted to be closer but science said not to.
    We also Face-timed him a few times.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Merry Christmas and happy holidays to everyone. Hopefully you get to spend some time (responsibly) with the ones most special in your life before the crazy season hits.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Merry Christmas and a Happy and Healthy New Year to all.

Spud....you’ll be missed.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Merry Christmas to all !
    Congrats Spud on your new endeavor!
    Does that mean you will “perk” away instead of
    “evaporating” away?
    115 red maples on vacuum
    100 taps on 5/16 gravity