+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Vacuum for Remote Locations?

Default Vacuum for Remote Locations?

I will start this by saying that I don't have any experience with vacuum systems other than what I have read online, in this forum and in the Tubing Notebook 6th edition. I did have a chance to look at a few systems where power is present. One of my sugarbushes has 400 taps on 3/16 line that is remote with no access to power in a large valley. It does have room for expansion. I have a collection tank at the bottom of the valley where all of my 3/16 lines come to. Each line has on average 35 taps. I have a 1,200 foot one inch main line were I pump from the collection tank in the valley to our truck utilizing a 1 inch gas powered pump. I do have good natural vacuum with my 3/16 lines due to significant fall to the bottom of the valley. Is it even worth exploring mechanical vacuum? Is it possible to use a vacuum pump on 3/16 or would I need to switch to 5/16? I want to do it right the first time if I choose to add mechanical vacuum.

The second part: Is it financially feasible to run a gas engine to directly power a vacuum pump at the bottom of the valley with a mechanical releaser? If so, would it be better to run a generator and a electric vacuum pump and releaser instead? I have heard that a mechanical releaser can be a pain. I don' t have a lot of time to babysit it during the day.

I read that it is better to push the sap with a pump vs trying to pull it with vacuum. If I could get power installed by the access road is it feasible or possible to pull vacuum and sap the 1,200 feet from the bottom of the valley to a collection tank with a electric vacuum pump and releaser? How far is it feasible to pull sap with vacuum? For those that pull sap back to their sugar shack with vacuum, is it on a downhill grade the entire way? We are approximately uphill 800 feet with our one inch main pump out line out of the valley before breaking over to a flat or slightly down hill terrain the remaining 400 feet.

I know I have several loaded questions here but I am hoping someone that has had years of trials, errors, successes, and great experiences might be able to give me and others, with remote sugarbushes, some guidance or their thoughts! Thanks in advance.

While I use vacuum on 3/16, it is not going to give you the best performance. My vacuum is from a BB4 piston pump, not a small diaphragm pump. My mains both have 2 or 3 sap ladders, except for the sap ladders all have slope, however not much, some areas are only 1%. My 3/16 have no slope, so the combination of tree sap pressure and vacuum which transfers poorly thru 3/16 moves the sap.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

For mechanical vacuum you have 2 options - put a generator and vacuum pump at the tank or put the vacuum pump where you have electricity and run a vacuum line to a mechanical releaser at the tank. If you put a generator at the tank you could go with either an electric releaser or a mechanical one.

For mechanical releasers your babysitting normally happens at the start and end of the day when the temperature is close to freezing. If you have leaks (in the lines or at the releaser) the incoming air will freeze the releaser prematurely.

I don't have any 3/16" lines but I understand that mechanical vacuum can help get high vacuum on the lower taps and helps to overcome leaks in the lines if they are not perfectly air tight. I'm not sure how much more sap you'd get with mechanical vacuum - it would depend on a lot of variables.
    4,600 Taps on vacuum
    9,400 gallons storage
    3 tower CDL RO
    3.5'x14' Lapierre Force 5
    Twitter & Instagram: @ennismaple
    www.ennismaple.com

+ Reply to Thread