+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: To R.O. or not to R.O. that is the question

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by ir3333 View Post
    does the speed of production / less boiling, change the syrup taste and colour
    In general no. Up to about 8 Brix, syrup might be a little darker with RO. Above that, a little lighter. Flavor isn't affected much at all.

https://mapleresearch.org/pub/m1015r...osmosisflavor/
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Quote Originally Posted by ir3333 View Post
    does the speed of production / less boiling, change the syrup taste and colour
    Depends - there are a number of posts on this site about that topic. If you concentrate to about 8% you actually get slightly darker syrup because of the warming of the concentrate through the RO. If you concentrate higher than that the syrup gets lighter.

What we've found is we get more consistent colour with the RO. We can process more sap per day and once you flush through the concentrate that's sat in the evaporator for the last few days the colour comes back by 15-20LT. We've made 6 drums in the same day all within 5 LT of each other. Without an RO as the boils get over 5 hours the nitre in the syrup pan starts to scorch causing the syrup to darker and creating an off-flavour.
    4,600 Taps on vacuum
    9,400 gallons storage
    3 tower CDL RO
    3.5'x14' Lapierre Force 5
    Twitter & Instagram: @ennismaple
    www.ennismaple.com

TX. i had thought the longer you boil the darker the syrup...so by speeding the process up and boiling less i thought you would
    end up with lighter flavour and color...yes, i'm new to the hobby. This will be my third year and i have made more changes to my
    system for this spring.

Do it!! Get the RO.

I got the RO10 bucket kit, and mounted it on a small piece of plywood with a shelf on the bottom, so it was free standing, and I could just pick it up and bring it inside to keep it from freezing when not in use. I hook it up and get it going first, put an inch of sap in the pan to keep it from burning, then by the time I get the fire going enough to boil, I have enough RO-ed sap to add. My set-up boils aprox 10 gph, and the RO keeps up nicely. Of course I only have time to let it run through once when I do it this way. If I want to run it through the RO more than once, I need to get my butt in gear and get out there earlier.
    2017 - 20ish taps on buckets, boiling outside in two baking pans
    2018 - 70+ taps, 14-buckets, 50+ on tubing, homemade arch from oil tank in my barn, 17 gal syrup
    2019 - same set up, 20 gal syrup
    2020 - less taps, short season, but RO kit was fantastic! 6 gal syrup and a maple cat!
    2021 - planning on expanding to 50 taps on buckets and 40 taps on tubing - goal = 10 gal of syrup

The original post needs to ask only one question.

Are you trying to make money producing maple syrup?

YEA -> get your sap into an RO system.

NAY -> sit back and watch the steam run off into the moonlight and listen to the Coyotes howl at midnight (my preference )
    If you think it's easy to make good money in maple syrup .... then your obviously good at stealing somebody's Maple Syrup.

Favorite Tree: Sugar Maple
    Most Hated Animal: Sap Sucker
    Most Loved Animal: Devon Rex Cat
    Favorite Kingpin: Bruce Bascom
    40 Sugar Maple Taps ... 23 in CT and 17 in NY .... 29 on gravity tubing and 11 on 5G buckets ... 2019 Totals 508 gallons of sap, 7 boils, 11.4 gallons of syrup.
    1 Girlfriend that gives away all my syrup to her friends.

Quote Originally Posted by therealtreehugger View Post
    Do it!! Get the RO.

I got the RO10 bucket kit, and mounted it on a small piece of plywood with a shelf on the bottom, so it was free standing, and I could just pick it up and bring it inside to keep it from freezing when not in use. I hook it up and get it going first, put an inch of sap in the pan to keep it from burning, then by the time I get the fire going enough to boil, I have enough RO-ed sap to add. My set-up boils aprox 10 gph, and the RO keeps up nicely. Of course I only have time to let it run through once when I do it this way. If I want to run it through the RO more than once, I need to get my butt in gear and get out there earlier.
    That's what I figured I'd do if I decided to use an RO
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

[QUOTE=buckeye gold;387381]Hey neighbor,

I hope your family has avoided the covid-19 virus. I appreciate the offer, but I'm still hesitant to pull the trigger. Not having any heat in the shack other than when the evaporator is running is a concern. I will drop you a PM if I decide to take you up on it.

The no heat in my shack was my biggest concern 2 years ago when I started to RO, so I bought the RB 15 bucket so I could easily transport to the heated Cabin at the end of the day. The RB 15 gives me about 10 gallons of concentrate an hour but my arch evaps about 12-15 so I always started to RO first thing in the morning while I was out collecting. That would give me a little stockpile for when I start to boil. This worked so well that I added another RO bucket and another125 taps this year. The transport was probably the most important thing to me as I also have an endless supply of wood. If sure is nice to boil down in 8 hours what used to take me 16 or more.
    The only downside is guests need to be a little more punctual on their visits as I'm not always there boiling as in the past.
    Good Luck.
    1960 - 1970s 70 taps on galvanized buckets with Dad and Grandpa.
    1970s - 1985 Acted crazy!
    1986 - 2005 20-30 buckets.
    2006- 2017 70 buckets and bags
    2017-2019 100 bags and buckets
    2020 Finally retired!!! 75 buckets, 50-75 on tubing. RO Bucket, New 12 X 16 Shack and a 36X42 flat pan.
    2021-Adding another 125 taps along with a second RO bucket.
    Lots of Family and Friends and a dog named Skyy!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123