+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing Taps at end of Season from Reds

Default Removing Taps at end of Season from Reds

Odd question here that I should probably know the answer to. In my research red maples seem to bud earlier than other maple trees, so if there is a red maple on the line is it prudent to pull them early? And if so with the tap going into the tee, once you unplug it and set it into the tee will the line maintain vacuum?
    Tucker Adams

2022 - 105 Taps, 58 on buckets, 40 on shurflo, 5 on 3/16 gravity across southern Maine with primary bush in Norway. Aiming for 30 Gallons this Year.
    2021 - 64 Taps in Norway, ME (mostly on 3/16 tubing) - 16 gallons with a 225 gallon sap donation.
    2x4 AOF/AUF Oil Drum Evaporator with Badgerland Pan
    1/2 finished 12x16 Sugar Shack

I am hoping that others will comment here but in my experience, red maple will simply stop flowing before the sap goes buddy.
    Matt,
    Minehart Gap Maple

That is what i have noticed happens.

Quote Originally Posted by minehart gap View Post
    I am hoping that others will comment here but in my experience, red maple will simply stop flowing before the sap goes buddy.

I set out @ 1,200+ taps and close to half of them are Red Maples. I am in Southern PA and have never pulled the Red Maples before my Sugar Maples on tubing or buckets. IT has never caused an off favor or buddy issue in my 10+ years of sugaring. Like it was mentioned they just quit flowing for me.

In 2010 I decided to try pulling the taps on my red maples to try to extend the season without worrying about buddy syrup. I pulled the reds 6 days before my last boil. At the time, I had 924 taps and pulled the 164 taps on red maples, about 17% of my trees. 35% of my syrup was commercial syrup any way and I did not note if there was any buddy syrup. My analysis was that by pulling the taps on the red maples I just reduced the amount of syrup that I made and have not pulled any red maple taps since.
    I added 2,200 taps in a new woods in 2014 with 48% of the trees being red maple. I could not find my syrup sales records for 2014, but in 2015 I made 92 gallons of commercial syrup "With a late flavor" descriptor on the slip by the buyer. For the next 5 seasons, including 2020, I have not made a drop of any bad tasting syrup, commercial syrup or "late flavor syrup". I might attribute this to not collecting sap as late in the season as when I started. The first nine seasons, my last boil averaged April 11 with 5 dates above the average and the last seven seasons my last boil averaged April 8 with 3 dates above the average.

Joe
    2004- 470 taps on gravity and buckets
    2006- 590 taps on gravity and buckets 300 gph RO
    2009- 845 taps on vacuum no buckets, 600 gph RO
    2010- 925 taps on vacuum new 2 stage vacuum pump
    2014- 3045 taps on vacuum, new 1200 gph RO
    2015- 3104 taps on vacuum
    2017- 3213 taps on vacuum
    3' x 10' oil fired evaporator with steamaway

My experience is the same, they just quit flowing
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye gold View Post
    My experience is the same, they just quit flowing
    Same. About 1/3 of our taps are red maple. We don't untap them.

Red maple flower buds open early in the spring. These are not the same as vegetative buds. We rarely ever encounter buddy syrup. Typically the season ends due to sap flow slow-down or stoppage.

For us, the end of the season is usually indicated by frogs...typically within a day of when sap either stops running, or it runs so slowly it sours in the lines.
    Last edited by DrTimPerkins; 12-09-2020 at 12:11 PM.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Perfect. Love to hear the feedback, I want to extend my season for as long as I could and it sounds like this will allow me to do so! Appreciate you all!
    Tucker Adams

2022 - 105 Taps, 58 on buckets, 40 on shurflo, 5 on 3/16 gravity across southern Maine with primary bush in Norway. Aiming for 30 Gallons this Year.
    2021 - 64 Taps in Norway, ME (mostly on 3/16 tubing) - 16 gallons with a 225 gallon sap donation.
    2x4 AOF/AUF Oil Drum Evaporator with Badgerland Pan
    1/2 finished 12x16 Sugar Shack

I hear what you all are saying about the reds shutting off and buddiness never really happening. However, my late season experiences are typically an increasingly darker syrup and greater effort to clean my rig. I normally attribute these conditions to the soft maples (I'm about 40% by tap count). I also see a rosy-pink color on the filter papers which I attribute to the soft maples starting to bud. Am I wrong?

I'm currently adding about 600 taps on a 100% hard maple sugarbush and I'm going to add a new releaser that will serve not just these new maples but most of other hard maples. The result will be that most of my soft maple trees will be isolated on the old releaser which will allow me to entirely switch over the hard maples for the end of season. I'm hoping that this will allow me to extend the season by another boil or two with good quality/"lighter" grade syrup.
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by TapTapTap View Post
    I hear what you all are saying about the reds shutting off and buddiness never really happening. However, my late season experiences are typically an increasingly darker syrup and greater effort to clean my rig. I normally attribute these conditions to the soft maples (I'm about 40% by tap count). I also see a rosy-pink color on the filter papers which I attribute to the soft maples starting to bud. Am I wrong?
    Typically in late season syrup will be darker and stronger tasting, whether with red or sugar maple. Niter typically increases in late season also. Those are both the regular trend and not really attributable to red vs sugar.

The more typical concerns are timing of buddy off-flavor (no direct scientific evidence), lower sugar content in red maple (some evidence under gravity conditions, but very old research), and perhaps more variability in sap yield and sugar content and somewhat higher internal staining (mixed evidence, mostly pointing towards "no"). There is also some suggestion that red maple syrup and sugar maple syrup have a somewhat different flavor profile. Give Dr. Abby another three years and she'll be able to tell you.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast