+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Removing Taps at end of Season from Reds

I used to be all sugarmaples until about 6 years ago. For the first 5 of those I removed the reds as the buds just opened, by removing those laterals from the system. I had the reds on separate laterals. Then Dr Tim said it was not necessary and this past season I left the reds on, and then pulled the taps when the sugar maples were pulled. I got no buddy or ropey syrup, all was grade A and in fact, even my final cleanup yielded no Very Dark.
    I do believe that the mix of sugar and red maples makes a better tasting syrup. Last year I was at about 50/50 on each.
    Dave Klish about 400 taps, down from much more. Will hold about the same for 2021
    2012 Mahindra 36 HP 4x4/ loader/cab/heat/AC:-)
    3x8 raised flue evaporator
    250 GPH converted to electric, RO by Ray Gingerich
    6.32 KW solar system, 1.48KW is battery backed up, all net metered

Last year about mid Feb I boiled off a gallon of red sap alongside a gallon of sugar sap, both close to syrup consistency. Both appeared and tasted exactly alike. I noticed my Red Maple tap either just gave good clear sap or shut down. And never really left cloudy or even slightly hazy sap in the pail. Or any of the pinkish slime that the Sugar Maples eventually start to leave. My Red tap did not flow very fast even though it was in a 36" diameter tree and into good green wood.

Does anybody have any experience with Norwegian sap? Many years ago I boiled some Norwegian sap and as I remember it splattered like crazy in the pan when it was still a good distance from being syrup.
    If you think it's easy to make good money in maple syrup .... then your obviously good at stealing somebody's Maple Syrup.

Favorite Tree: Sugar Maple
    Most Hated Animal: Sap Sucker
    Most Loved Animal: Devon Rex Cat
    Favorite Kingpin: Bruce Bascom
    40 Sugar Maple Taps ... 23 in CT and 17 in NY .... 29 on gravity tubing and 11 on 5G buckets ... 2019 Totals 508 gallons of sap, 7 boils, 11.4 gallons of syrup.
    1 Girlfriend that gives away all my syrup to her friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar Bear View Post
    Does anybody have any experience with Norwegian sap? Many years ago I boiled some Norwegian sap and as I remember it splattered like crazy in the pan when it was still a good distance from being syrup.
    I have a seven Norways on vac and one on a bucket so the sap gets mixed with silver and sugar sap. Used to tap a large Norway at my mother-in-law's that is an absolute gusher. They make great syrup. I have boiled some separate in the past and have had no popping. Maybe a heavy niter condition?
    42.82N
    2015 - Small operation. 25 buckets. One excited 5 year old and one 35 year old that feels 5 again.
    2016 - One year older. New Homemade 2x4 Arch, Smoky Lake Pan and looking at 52 maples, 17 box elders and 2 walnut trees.
    2017 - Shurflo 4008 hooked to 42 stingy silver maples and a few Norways. A couple buckets on sugars and Norways. 10 box elders.
    2018 - ...a few more taps.
    2019 - ...more taps on 3/16 gravity. This spiral is heading downward in a hurry.
    2020 - 4x400 RO - RB20 (uh-oh!)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12